• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Leafs acquire David Rittich from Calgary

I think Dubas does a hockey trade with players next.
Still have a feeling that something is coming down the corridor that many will not have seen.
Credit to Dubas for going out and trying to make the team better. If it works and gets the Leafs to the final 4, great. If they lose to anyone in the northern division .....

It’s not about “feelings”. It’s about having seen the guy fall to pieces under the pressure of this market before.

And it’s not like the .910, .907 & .904 save percentages he’s put up this year and the last two seasons make him an obviously better choice than Rittich.
I wonder how many players tell their teams that they will not go to the Leafs in a trade?
Maybe Hall told the Sabres that he wants to go somewhere where he can sign an extension? (He did have a no-movement clause).
Maybe Hall, Reimer, and Bernier don't want to go to the Leafs.

Tldr: they've got three NHL goalies for the playoffs. One is injured, another is barely scraping by and unproven and the other is a backup. Maybe their idea is a diversified portfolio makes it more likely one gets as hot as they need him to. But I'm not too excited if they have to use a Rittich vs a Tampa.
I wouldn't be surprised to see the Lightning not make it out of their division this season.

So, with that, as it stands right now, it looks like Dubas acquired the best healthy goaltender that was available for sure at this deadline.

If Reimer or Dreidger move, or Raanta/Kuemper turn out to be healthy enough to get moved, I’ll revise that.

But as of right now, I feel a lot better about this trade, and I feel more confident that Fred’s not returning this year.

Yeah, Ullmark would have been great, but if the Sabres aren't moving him (and they probably shouldn't for a mid round pick, its the same mistake as giving away Lehner without a replacement), then what are you supposed to do other than get the best goalie you can?

If Fred is healthy for the playoffs, and Jack gets injured, who do you put in net - Fred or Riddick?

If Fred is healthy for the playoffs, and Jack gets injured, who do you put in net - Fred or Riddick?

As of this moment—Rittich.

But he’s going to get some starts for us down the stretch (including possibly tomorrow’s game against his old team), so that’ll provide more of an answer.

If Rittich looks like absolute hot garbage for us the rest of the way, you’d have to consider Hutch or Fred. But if he hangs around .910 the rest of the way, Rittich would be 2nd on my depth chart.

So, with that, as it stands right now, it looks like Dubas acquired the best healthy goaltender that was available for sure at this deadline.

If Reimer or Dreidger move, or Raanta/Kuemper turn out to be healthy enough to get moved, I’ll revise that.

But as of right now, I feel a lot better about this trade, and I feel more confident that Fred’s not returning this year.

Yeah, Rittich is shit but if he's the best goalie that moved, it makes the move a bit more palatable. Hard to know if the goalies didn't move because of cost though.

Hard to believe that Raanta wouldn't be available as a pending UFA though.

Yeah, Rittich is shit but if he's the best goalie that moved, it makes the move a bit more palatable. Hard to know if the goalies didn't move because of cost though.

Hard to believe that Raanta wouldn't be available as a pending UFA though.

I’m sure Arizona would’ve liked to have traded Raanta, but he’s still injured and there doesn’t seem to be any indication when he’ll be back.

Someone on my twitter is talking about how Rittich actually has a really strong HDSV% over the last three years.

Haven't been able to check yet.

hdsv%

20-21: .828 (#21 of 61)

2yrs: .835 (#11 of 60)

3yrs: .836 (#6 of 58)

promising, maybe.

Back