• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

…as always, extremely conservative religious environments providing the best hunting grounds for groomers:
the complete lack of due diligence before hiring this guy really stands out.

especially as someone who spent nearly a decade each as both a camper and then staff member at an overnight camp in Muskoka.

just shocking dereliction of duty by the folks in charge, among other issues.

We worry about $ and it affects how many kids we have. people in other countries just don't consider that.
Canada has a great plan to bring people in..Beyond that there appears to be little thought.

People in other countries prioritize children over personal happiness, material goods, vacations, etc.

If we (and I speak of myself here) were more concerned with firing out babies and living within the financial restrictions that causes than we were of living in bigger homes, driving newer cars, having better clothes, vacays, etc, our birth rate would be fine.

Now, with that said....2nd generation immigrants have the same birth rates as everyone else.

People in other countries prioritize children over personal happiness, material goods, vacations, etc.

If we (and I speak of myself here) were more concerned with firing out babies and living within the financial restrictions that causes than we were of living in bigger homes, driving newer cars, having better clothes, vacays, etc, our birth rate would be fine.

Now, with that said....2nd generation immigrants have the same birth rates as everyone else.
after growing up and living like a bit of a prince (relative to the world's average citizen) it is tough to knowingly inflict upon yourself conditions (i.e. children) that are likely to lower your quality of life. this is a conversation Ms. Wayward and I have often enough.

that and life just costs so much more now than it used to.

practically, I want to pay off my law school debt before taking on the financial toll of children. we will see what happens...

after growing up and living like a bit of a prince (relative to the world's average citizen) it is tough to knowingly inflict upon yourself conditions (i.e. children) that are likely to lower your quality of life. this is a conversation Ms. Wayward and I have often enough.

that and life just costs so much more now than it used to.

practically, I want to pay off my law school debt before taking on the financial toll of children. we will see what happens...

I will be semi retired in Mexico before the age of 50 (probably before 47), decisions have been made. Some made for us, some made by us.

200.gif

But the flip side of that is understanding that someone needs to pay for the olds, so relatively open door immigration is a necessary thing (and their food is much better than ours)

We love to pull out

When he runs federally, Poilievre won't be able to pay 50 grand just to skip a debate. He's going to have to stand at a podium and try to answer questions that were not given to him in advance. Then he's going to open his mouth and swallow his own tongue. If he thought debating Jean Charest was an unnecessary risk, he's in for a treat when he has to debate Trudeau.

People are underestimating Poilievre, IMO. He can hold his own in a debate. And he has a similar pseudo-serious-fake-businessman appeal that Steven Harper had, but with a much stronger populist appeal.

I don’t personally get it, but a lot of people like him. He’s beloved in Greely, which is a pretty good microcosm for many of those big, boring GTA ridings the conservatives need to swing. And Quebec is fickle enough that maybe the Cons running a guy who pretends to be anti-establishment and actually speaks French (first one in decades) will make a difference.

Where I have doubt is that he can go a campaign without blatant dog whistling to his base. The right needs trudeau fatigue and PP is enough of a known scumbag to drive majority left wing voters to the polls. I think the "populism" is a net negative for PP.

His populist appeal isn’t only to his alt-right base though. It’s stuff like this:

Also I think Poilievre has the scumbag vote locked up, and will focus on trying to appear to have ideas with broader appeal. Of course there will be the occasional wink and nod in the direction of anti-immigrant, antivax, freedumb rally etc. Will that stir up enough fear to overcome liberal fatigue and far right motivation? Maybe, but it’s not a slam dunk IMO.

Despite Poilievre being the widely perceived frontrunner for leader among Conservative voters, less than one in four Canadians appear to have a positive impression of him, the poll suggests. That’s a drop of two points from July.

“With the general population, where elections are won or lost, he’s not really performing that strongly. In fact, his negatives are higher than his positives,” Bricker said.

He might draw a bit of the youth vote with that message, but I don't think the voter he's going after there is as unsophisticated as his message needs them to be, or votes in large enough numbers to swing urban ridings in major cities.

If he is going to beat the libs with shit like good housing policy then all power to him tbh.

The concern is that he'll beat the drum to get into power and then do little or nothing once there on that front, and focus on locking in culture war bullshit.

His statement in the video kind of underlines what's probably an intentional misunderstanding of the problem with urban housing. You're not going to make land in proximity to transit stations in Toronto & Vancouver (which is really where we're talking about when we talk about unaffordable housing) cheaper and even building a fuck ton of medium density stuff (on top of what are already pretty decent medium density corridors).

The real problem in Canada is that there just aren't enough places people want to live and the urban overflow locations have been NIMBY cocksuckers for generations. Want to talk about access to transit and density issues? Let's talk about Oshawa, Ajax, Newmarket, Richmond Hill, Barrie, Guelph, KW...Mississauga and Brampton have finally pulled their heads out of their asses but they were pure suburban sprawl with shitty, unintegrated transit for decades. That's 1.5 million people between the two that don't even have light rail access ffs.

But PP doesn't want to bad mouth small cities where his voters might live.

The point isn’t that Poilievre has good housing policy (or any good policy) it’s that his populist appeal already extends well beyond the batshit wing of the Conservative party. Now he has plenty of time to build it out further, while talking about things that voters want to hear about in a non-terrifying way.

If the Liberals are planning to run on Poilievre being another boogeyman, inexperienced, or a Harper-lite chump (like Scheer), they’re probably going to lose.

Back