• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

New Canadian Politics Thread

The point isn’t that Poilievre has good housing policy (or any good policy) it’s that his populist appeal already extends well beyond the batshit wing of the Conservative party. Now he has plenty of time to build it out further, while talking about things that voters want to hear about in a non-terrifying way.

If the Liberals are planning to run on Poilievre being another boogeyman, inexperienced, or a Harper-lite chump (like Scheer), they’re probably going to lose.
Perhaps, but no one scores more own goals than the federal conservative party.

So that is in play too.

The point isn’t that Poilievre has good housing policy (or any good policy) it’s that his populist appeal already extends well beyond the batshit wing of the Conservative party. Now he has plenty of time to build it out further, while talking about things that voters want to hear about in a non-terrifying way.

If the Liberals are planning to run on Poilievre being another boogeyman, inexperienced, or a Harper-lite chump (like Scheer), they’re probably going to lose.

Problem being that this assertion just doesn't line up with what we're seeing in the polling. He's a right wing populist at this point with weak numbers everywhere aside from the right wing of the right wing party. Centrist conservatives don't like him, and his numbers outside of the conservative party itself are pretty dreadful. He has a long road to walk before anything you said above is true.

The conservatives would have a way better shot if they lead with a cenrailist and had the wing nuts follow, instead of leading with the wing nuts and trying to sell to the cenralists.

Perhaps, but no one scores more own goals than the federal conservative party.

So that is in play too.
This. At some point in the campaign they will let the mask slip or someone connected to the party will do or say something treasonous or misogynist or racist or fascist and they'll blow the whole game.

The next government is likely to be another minority, and there’s no telling which way it will break IMO.
It won't break in favor of the right wing. The PPC will drain votes away from the CPC, although having Poilievre there makes that less of a threat since he's just as bat shit as Bernier, but the Liberal/NDP/Greens will amass enough votes to keep him out of power.

The next government is likely to be another minority, and there’s no telling which way it will break IMO.

This is something that reassures me. Even if the Poilievre CPC wins, I can’t see them winning a majority government.

And if they don’t have a majority, tough to see the Libs or NDP propping them up. The Bloc might, but only on a very limited and self-serving basis.

And the CPC would also have to have a large majority for the Bloc to be able to prop them up alone.

OK, so today I interviewed ANOTHER person who brought an interpreter to the "Interview". They couldn't speak one word of English.
Our country for everyone's sake really needs a tough language test. It's getting ridiculous. This has happened several times lately. WTF is the criteria for being chosen into the country? A person who speaks no english isn't going to fill our job quotas.

OK, so today I interviewed ANOTHER person who brought an interpreter to the "Interview". They couldn't speak one word of English.
Our country for everyone's sake really needs a tough language test. It's getting ridiculous. This has happened several times lately. WTF is the criteria for being chosen into the country? A person who speaks no english isn't going to fill our job quotas.

Aha!

Back