• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Mitt is an interesting cat. Obsessed with his own death and the death of democracy. This is an excerpt from a larger piece

Shortly after moving into his Senate office, Romney had hung a large rectangular map on the wall. First printed in 1931 by Rand McNally, the “histomap” attempted to chart the rise and fall of the world’s most powerful civilizations through 4,000 years of human history. When Romney first acquired the map, he saw it as a curiosity. After January 6, he became obsessed with it.

He showed the map to visitors, brought it up in conversations and speeches. More than once, he found himself staring at it alone in his office at night. The Egyptian empire had reigned for some 900 years before it was overtaken by the Assyrians. Then the Persians, the Romans, the Mongolians, the Turks—each civilization had its turn, and eventually collapsed in on itself. Maybe the falls were inevitable. But what struck Romney most about the map was how thoroughly it was dominated by tyrants of some kind—pharaohs, emperors, kaisers, kings.

“A man gets some people around him and begins to oppress and dominate others,” he said the first time he showed me the map. “It’s a testosterone-related phenomenon, perhaps. I don’t know. But in the history of the world, that’s what happens.” America’s experiment in self-rule “is fighting against human nature.”

“This is a very fragile thing,” he told me. “Authoritarianism is like a gargoyle lurking over the cathedral, ready to pounce.”

Any reason not to think that those were merely regular insoles that popped out? Guy his age probably has orthodics or whatever they're called in there. How much extra height can an insole provide anyway? Plus he's already pretty tall so why would he be trying to gain a half inch?

Not an isolated incident. He's been known for years to wear lifts (he's far from the only politician to do this fwiw.) whenever he's around anyone who he wants to feel more powerful than.

His lifts wouldn't come flying out of his shoes like that, they would be a built in part of custom shoes. Those were likely orthotics that came out after the shooting.

In one early meeting, a colleague who’d been elected a few years earlier leveled with him: “There are about 20 senators here who do all the work, and there are about 80 who go along for the ride.” Romney saw himself as a workhorse, and was eager for others to see him that way too. “I wanted to make it clear: I want to do things,” he told me.

He quickly became frustrated, though, by how much of the Senate was built around posturing and theatrics. Legislators gave speeches to empty chambers and spent hours debating bills they all knew would never pass. They summoned experts to appear at committee hearings only to make them sit in silence while they blathered some more.

Not an isolated incident. He's been known for years to wear lifts (he's far from the only politician to do this fwiw.) whenever he's around anyone who he wants to feel more powerful than.

His lifts wouldn't come flying out of his shoes like that, they would be a built in part of custom shoes. Those were likely orthotics that came out after the shooting.

Where is the foot fetish guy when we need him?

One more Mitt bit:

Every time he publicly criticized Trump, it seemed, some Republican senator would smarmily sidle up to him in private and express solidarity. “I sure wish I could do what you do,” they’d say, or “Gosh, I wish I had the constituency you have,” and then they’d look at him expectantly, as if waiting for Romney to convey profound gratitude. This happened so often that he started keeping a tally; at one point, he told his staff that he’d had more than a dozen similar exchanges. He developed a go-to response for such occasions: “There are worse things than losing an election. Take it from somebody who knows.”

One afternoon in March 2019, Trump paid a visit to the Senate Republicans’ weekly caucus lunch. He was in a buoyant mood—two days earlier, the Justice Department had announced that the much-anticipated report from Special Counsel Robert Mueller failed to establish collusion between the Trump campaign and Russia during the 2016 election.

As Romney later wrote in his journal, the president was met with a standing ovation fit for a conquering hero, and then launched into some rambling remarks. He talked about the so-called Russia hoax and relitigated the recent midterm elections and swung wildly from one tangent to another. He declared, somewhat implausibly, that the GOP would soon become “the party of health care.” The senators were respectful and attentive.

As soon as Trump left, Romney recalled, the Republican caucus burst into laughter.

So, in episode #194726 of mindz vs the polling industry, I present an example of "flooding the zone"

New poll just came out:

View: https://x.com/PpollingNumbers/status/1813009115016237356

Pretty standard stuff, right.

The pollster is Redfield & Wilton. A "global" (really this just means British) "strategic consultant firm". They have a dogshit 1.8 rating on 538's pollster ratings (which tracks real world accuracy between polls and election results) and in the UK given the letter grade D by electionvault. They're best known for a hilarious poll trying to run cover fire for BoJo when he was being pressured to resign. They produced results saying the UK public wanted to move on, it wasn't a story....shortly after, BoJo resigned.

But, when you stack enough of these bullshit bricks you build a bullshit house. But it's a bullshit house of bullshit cards.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHzOOMdhAhE

AND IF SOMEONE GETS SHOT, THEY GET SHOT.

awkward-homer-simpson-qspzbkkpvyy9tgmd.gif

Back