• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Traders have predicted 38 of the last 2 recessions, so yeah.
Oh it's not about that. I'm more concerned about stock market weakness heading into November, which doesn't require a recession to actually occur! Trump has nothing on 'mala right now. The less ammo he has the better.

Oh it's not about that. I'm more concerned about stock market weakness heading into November, which doesn't require a recession to actually occur! Trump has nothing on 'mala right now. The less ammo he has the better.

Can't see the market suffering in an environment with declining interest rates.

Can't see the market suffering in an environment with declining interest rates.
Famous last words. Predicting price action in a timeframe as short as this is a dangerous game my friend. There can be a 5-10% consolidation between now and november and the charts would still look healthy and not necessarily be "suffering." But I sure would prefer things to keep booming as they have. People have short memories.

Reactions: CH1
Famous last words. Predicting price action in a timeframe as short as this is a dangerous game my friend. There can be a 5-10% consolidation between now and november and the charts would still look healthy and not necessarily be "suffering." But I sure would prefer things to keep booming as they have. People have short memories.

Meh

1722544611773.png

Short of a major market event (dotcom bubble burst, great recession, or covid), the market will react to money supply like it tends to.

Meh

View attachment 21464

Short of a major market event (dotcom bubble burst, great recession, or covid), the market will react to money supply like it tends to.
Absolutely. But again I'm not talking about that. I'm referring to a 3 month stretch of price action. Odds will always favor the bulls but 3 months is a highly variable timeframe. And nothing impacts sentiment more than price action in shortterm timeframes, as irrational as it may be.

Anyway here's the reason money left the market today and we got one of the ugliest days of the year:

Some fresh data stoked fears over a possible recession and the notion that the Federal Reserve could be too late to start cutting interest rates. Initial jobless claims rose the most since August 2023. The ISM manufacturing index, a barometer of factory activity in the U.S., came in at 46.8%, worse than expected and a signal of economic contraction. After these releases, the 10-year Treasury yield dropped below 4% for the first time since February.

Agree it's most likely a nothingburger but sometimes the data and fear takes awhile to stabilize. 3 months could be enough time to turn the narrative and data around but hey I'm simply saying that I hope that happens! Not that it won't happen. Truthfully I don't know and neither do you.

Meh

The market went up ~10% during the Clinton-Trump campaign that nearly everyone in the universe though Clinton was going to win, with a Democrat president. It went up 10% the month before the election in Trump-Biden and Biden whomped Trump anyway. It was dead flat for 2-3 months before Obama beat Romney as the incumbent and Obama won easily.

Hard meh on worrying about the movement of the market before an election.

Meh

The market went up ~10% during the Clinton-Trump campaign that nearly everyone in the universe though Clinton was going to win, with a Democrat president. It went up 10% the month before the election in Trump-Biden and Biden whomped Trump anyway. It was dead flat for 2-3 months before Obama beat Romney as the incumbent and Obama won easily.

Again I already explained why I prefer to not have weakness. Trump is floundering, grasping at straws and he's dying for anything to latch on to. I'd simply prefer if he had nothing.

Meh

Easy for you to say when you have not gambled your life savings on the election

giphy.gif

Stop the fight, he's gonna die in there.

Big jobs report manana

Recession or no, market (well actually a dozen stocks) is due for a 10% dip (common in bull markets)

Really fun environment for my inexpensive lotto call gambits. Those wide intraday moves provide asymmetrical rewards

Back