• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: American Politics

Was interesting i read that she really liked Cooper personally and was sad he took himself out. But that might just be talk and she knows not letting Robinson have any power is a good thing.

But I really do think it'll be Walz at this point. Shapiro was the favorite on day one and I think we would have heard clearer rumours for him by now if it was him.
I think it's gonna be Shapiro or Walz. You guys had me convinced it should be Walz previously, but now I'm back on the Shapiro train.

The only reason I opposed Shapiro was cause I was afraid of an antisemitic backlash, but I think he moves the needle the most in the swing states, which is that ultimately matters the most. But Walz would prolly be great too.

Haven't seen enough of Beshear to have a strong opinion on him, but feel like a midwestern white dude is what they are after

my issue with Shapiro is that he comes across as a city slicker.

Kamala really needs someone that comes across like a smalltown good old boy imo.

also there seems to be some more concerning backlash possibilities with Shapiro both in terms of being jewish and aggressive stances on both sides of the israel issue as well as that sex scandal thingy.

and the great thing about Walz is that while he comes across as rural good old boy, he's actually much more liberal policy wise than Shapiro.

Kamala really needs someone that comes across like a smalltown good old boy imo.

also there seems to be some more concerning backlash possibilities with Shapiro both in terms of being jewish and aggressive stances on both sides of the israel issue as well as that sex scandal thingy.

and the great thing about Walz is that while he comes across as rural good old boy, he's actually much more liberal policy wise than Shapiro.
fair points except I don't think Shapiro is actually any more pro-Israel than the other candidates (and in some cases, less so, just seems everyone assumes otherwise cause he's so openly Jewish). is there any actual evidence of him being more pro-Israel than any of Walz, Beshear, etc.? that was part of my hesitation initially and I've been convinced it's not actually based in reality

and is the sex scandal thing really a thing that can be laid on Shapiro? asking sincerely, I have only a vague recollection of the details... thought it was a staffer, once he was aware, it was investigated, staffer terminated, victim compensated?

my concern with Walz is he's too lefty for the swing/independent voters likely to determine MI, WI, PA...

Yeah, if Walz doesn't tickle the progressives policy wise, nobody will. I love how unapologetic (so unlike a democrat) about being progressive he is and how aggressively he links progressive policy with being good for the middle class.

Thats my VP

fair points except I don't think Shapiro is actually any more pro-Israel than the other candidates (and in some cases, less so, just seems everyone assumes otherwise cause he's so openly Jewish). is there any actual evidence of him being more pro-Israel than any of Walz, Beshear, etc.? that was part of my hesitation initially and I've been convinced it's not actually based in reality

Ironically Shapiro seems to have staked extreme anti-palestine and extreme anti-bibi positions, both of which can hurt him.

and is the sex scandal thing really a thing that can be laid on Shapiro? asking sincerely, I have only a vague recollection of the details... thought it was a staffer, once he was aware, it was investigated, staffer terminated, victim compensated?

No idea really. Don't like the smoke tho.

my concern with Walz is he's too lefty for the swing/independent voters likely to determine MI, WI, PA...

But he explains that lefty stuff in such a righty way.

Ironically Shapiro seems to have staked extreme anti-palestine and extreme anti-bibi positions, both of which can hurt him.
just curious, what is the former based on? just his comments and actions re: encampments?

and yeah, he is very anti-Bibi.
No idea really. Don't like the smoke tho.
fair enough
But he explains that lefty stuff in such a righty way.
this is very true. Shapiro is also a pretty strong orator too in his own right.

I still have concerns that Walz shores up the base more than appealing to swing voters. prolly my main concern. he's an excellent communicator though and has a fantastic record legislating in MN.

I mean realistically I'm happy with either.

let's play a game. which VP candidate said which quote?

Quote 1
---- said, “we also can’t ignore the death and the destruction that’s occurred in Gaza. For those who are peacefully protesting, I support their right to do that and I’ll defend that, and I want to make sure they feel heard. And I think in [state], they do feel heard.”

Quote 2
“I think when Jewish students are telling us they feel unsafe in that, we need to believe them, and I do believe them,” he said on a local PBS program. “Creating a space where political dissent or political rallying can happen is one thing. Intimidation is another.”

He added, “All of us agree the situation in Gaza is intolerable. What happened on Oct. 7 was intolerable.”

Quote 3
“I do feel a somewhat unique responsibility to speak out when I see this level of antisemitism on our campuses and in our communities,” said ----. “We’ve seen a rise in antisemitism and Islamophobia. I think it is incumbent upon anyone — a governor or anyone else — to speak and act with moral clarity when they see these issues.”

also, pretty sure under Walz MN legislature passed legislation making it illegal for the state to participate in BDS

Back