• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Coronavirus Resources - and other things to not worry about

is it crazy to think that we should get the anti-vax, anti-science folks to like sign some sort of declaration affirming that under no circumstances are they to receive any publicly funded healthcare? won't be hard to come up with a compelling reason.

I mean I get the large scale societal problems with this approach but it really feels fucking right at the moment.

I think Singapore has declared that anyone not vaccinated will have to pay for covid related treatment.

I already miss Delta.

But important caveats. The variant took off with very low numbers in South Africa. So while it appears to be more transmissible, maybe the vertical line of growth isn't a true representation.. Because that would signify a R0 of 10-12+ according to some estimations which would be fucking frightening. Or in the words of much smarter people than me:

A significant transmissibility advantage scares me way more than immunity escape personally. Way way more. Hopefully it's not so bad. We already know the immunity escape will suck but transmissibility is still a big question mark.

But.. It's probably gonna become dominant soon enough. Odds heavily favor that. The only questions are how much more transmissible is it and how will 3 doses of vaccine work on it?

Last edited:
image.jpeg

Thread on how some treatments will respond to the variant. Stuff like Regeneron will take a hit. As for the Pfizer product:

I do know it was made specifically to be relatively variant-proof so hopefully that holds.

In Portugal, they're one of the highest vaccination rates in the world (something like 95% of eligible people). Everyone wears masks. Heck, even outdoors, I would say somewhere between 25% and 50% of people still wear masks. And unlike in Croatia, most people actually wear the masks properly, not having their nose hang out. And yet they're still seeing rates rise, and are still bringing in more restrictions starting next week.

I just don't know what to do anymore. If even Portugal can't fight it off and keep it at bay, what's the hope for everywhere? Do we just have to wait for some random mutation that makes it super contagious, but super weak, and gives everyone super immunity?

Do we just have to wait for some random mutation that makes it super contagious, but super weak, and gives everyone super immunity?
And tbh there's almost a 0% chance of that happening from my understanding. I don't know what the out is. No one does really.

Back