• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

My nephew is really into anime and has raved about ‘Death Note’, ‘Castlevania’, ‘Arcane’ and ‘Blue Eyed Samurai’

I saw a clip of Wes Anderson talking about his love of ‘Neon Genesis: Evangelion’ so got into it this past year. As a little kid I used to watch Astro Boy first thing every morning before school, so something about NG:E taps into that nostalgia a bit too.

‘Arcane’ though is supposed to be a masterpiece @Hoss , I’d maybe check that out.

Last edited:
I find movies are quickly forgotten if just released on streaming.

I also find that because so many of them are simply “good” that a movie only getting a Netflix release, kinda primes me to have a lesser opinion of it, if ever so slightly.

it’s like HBO versus Showtime…..you release the identical show on both channels, and I’m just intuitively going to feel the HBO version is of superior quality, given their respective track records.

Netflix only releases, are my modern day Showtime.

The Killer & The Irishman…..don’t quite feel like Fincher & Scorsese films, in the same way the rest of their filmographies do. (and I say that, having loved ‘The Irishman’)

On the flip side, if something is distributed by A24…I’m going in expecting quality, and it’s getting every benefit of the doubt from me.

Last edited:
My nephew is really into anime and has raved about ‘Death Note’, ‘Castlevania’, ‘Arcane’ and ‘Blue Eyed Samurai’

I saw a clip of Wes Anderson talking about his love of ‘Neon Genesis: Evangelion’ so got into it this past year. As a little kid I used to watch Astro Boy first thing every morning before school, so something about NG:E taps into that nostalgia a bit too.

‘Arcane’ though is supposed to be a masterpiece @Hoss , I’d maybe check that out.

Blue Eyed Samurai is about as cinematic as I've ever seen an anime be. Kind of fell in love with the first episode just for the art style and "cinematography" for lack of a better description, and binged it in like 2-3 days.

_kBmKX.gif

Ok, Rebel Ridge on Netflix IS real good. Aaron Pierre was a last minute substitute for the rather bland John Boyega and it's a star-making turn.
Jeremy Saulnier is a great director.

Mother's Instinct on Prime isn't bad. It's with Hathaway and Chastain as nutty suburban mom's in the 50's. I did see the turns coming. They do have 1 rather hilarious scene like in a cartoon where the words "CHLOROFORM" can be seen from a space shuttle so the audience can see what is in a medicine cabinet. Still worth a watch. Performances are solid.

Ok, Rebel Ridge on Netflix IS real good. Aaron Pierre was a last minute substitute for the rather bland John Boyega and it's a star-making turn.
Jeremy Saulnier is a great director.
It was definitely decent.

Just read that Boyega had already done a bunch of filming. Hard to imagine him in the role.

Rebel Ridge was really good.

Johnson plays a great asshole cop, though I find it funny that he's played the same role as the "good guy".

Back