• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Movies/TV Shows

I knew it was going to be terrible after watching the first installment which was just ok to good

I’m in shock of how bad it was. This movie should’ve been a layup. Unnecessary amount of singing.
It's easy to think "Oh how risky making it a musical", reality is, it's a horrible idea and the movie is getting bad reviews. It's going to bomb. I was pretty stunned when I read a couple of years ago they were going with that idea.

the appeal of the first film is that it’s a unique feature length look at a villain through the filter of class and metal illness.

What do you for an encore when the uniqueness angle is gone.

Add a big cross over star and hope some people don’t mind you have nothing.

So far 33% of regular folks like it on Rotten Tomatoes

The first one is fucking amazing and only an idiot would deprive himself of it.

I was worried about this one the moment Gaga was added. The first one was an acting tour de force and while gaga might be passable in some roles there's just no way her being a lead here could have resulted in a movie anything like the first one. And then the rumors it was a musical made it sound like a joke.

And then the trailer made it clear this was gonna be real real bad. I'll be waiting a long while before i dare watch this one.

the appeal of the first film is that it’s a unique feature length look at a villain through the filter of class and metal illness.

What do you for an encore when the uniqueness angle is gone.

There was plenty of cool story to tell from the end of the first movie to him actually becoming crime lord Joker. I don't know what they chose to tell here.

Some are saying that Todd Phillips didn't want to do a sequal but he was forced to and so he purposely fucked it all up on purpose to sabotage the film
I'm not sure why he'd willingly sabotage his own career for it, though.

Yeah probably. But i'll give it one more chance. Not that i didn't enjoy it i just didn't think it was great.
I watched it for the first time a few days ago. I slept on it and thought about it, and the more I thought about it, the less I liked it.

In this sense, and this sense alone, it gave me the same vibes as Christopher Nolan's third Batman movie: Too much stuff condensed in too long of a movie without enough elements to connect everything together. Almost would have been better as a short TV series like The Penguin than a full-on movie.

I watched it for the first time a few days ago. I slept on it and thought about it, and the more I thought about it, the less I liked it.

In this sense, and this sense alone, it gave me the same vibes as Christopher Nolan's third Batman movie: Too much stuff condensed in too long of a movie without enough elements to connect everything together. Almost would have been better as a short TV series like The Penguin than a full-on movie.

Yeah that could be it.

Definitely has some good basic themes and the mood and detective-not-superhero vibe are really good. I just remember being underwhelmed by the climax. And the villain.

But i'll give it another go. Because the Penguin has started out just too damn well.

Yeah that could be it.

Definitely has some good basic themes and the mood and detective-not-superhero vibe are really good. I just remember being underwhelmed by the climax. And the villain.

But i'll give it another go. Because the Penguin has started out just too damn well.
Yup.

While unfair, compare the climax & antagonist in that movie to the one The Dark Knight. TDK showed you how chaotic & unpredictable the Joker was, whereas The Batman's antagonist was... ambiguous? Is he a "good" vigilante bad guy, getting the real bad guys by whatever means necessary? And he seemingly wants to do good? But wait, no, he's actually worse than them in the end? And the climax in TDK was building and building and building, leading to real human emotions of self-preservation over empathy, it was honestly brilliant. The Batman was... eiyo ima set some bombs off and flood the city then get my incel army to shoot these foos son! in the span of what seemed an instant, with no build-up.

Last edited:
Back