• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

Apparently, France will be that team.

"The draw for the FIFA World Cup 2014 will take place on 6 December 2013 (1pm local time – Bahia, Brazil). The seeded teams will be in Pot 1. Pots 2, 3, 4 will be determined by ”geographic and sports criteria.” – The principle of geographical separation maintains that teams from the same confederation will not be allowed to occupy the same group. Exception: A maximum of two European Teams may occupy the same group.

FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010:

Pot 1 – The host and top 7 (October 2009 FIFA ranking)
Pot 2 – Asia, North America and Oceania
Pot 3 – Africa and South America
Pot 4 – Europe

Using the draw procedure for FIFA World Cup South Africa 2010, the pots for the World Cup Brazil 2014 Draw on 6 December 2013 would look like this ( + October FIFA Ranking):

Pot 1 (Seeded Teams):

1. Brazil (11)
2. Spain (1)
3. Germany (2)
4. Argentina (3)
5. Colombia (4)
6. Belgium (5)
7. Uruguay (6)
8. Switzerland (7)

Pot 2 (Asia and North America):

1. Japan (44) – AFC
2. Iran (49) – AFC
3. Korea Republic (56) – AFC
4. Australia (57) – AFC
5. U.S.A (13) – CONCACAF
6. Mexico (24) – CONCACAF
7. Costa Rica (31) – CONCACAF
8. Honduras (34) – CONCACAF

Pot 3 (Africa, South America + 1 UEFA Team):

1. Cote d’ Ivoire (17) – CAF
2. Ghana (23) – CAF
3. Algeria (32) – CAF
4. Nigeria (33) – CAF
5. Cameroon (59) – CAF
6. Chile (12) – CONMEBOL
7. Ecuador (22) – CONMEBOL
8. France (20) – UEFA

Pot 4 (Europe):

1. Netherlands (8) – UEFA
2. Italy (8) – UEFA
3. England (10) – UEFA
4. Portugal (14) – UEFA
5. Greece (15) – UEFA
6. Bosnia-Herzegovina (16) – UEFA
7. Croatia (18) – UEFA
8. Russia (19) – UEFA

All teams in Pot 1 (seeded teams) will be placed in Position “1″ in each group. Brazil (hosts) will be the only team whose Group is predetermined – Group A. The remaining seeded teams will be drawn randomly into Groups B-H.

Groups:

Group A: Brazil, Pot 2 Team, Pot 3 Team, Pot 4 Team
Group B:
Group C:
Group D:
Group E:
Group F:
Group G:
Group H:

Due to “the principle of geographic separation“, Chile and Ecuador will not be in Group A with Brazil. One of the 5 African Teams or the European Team in Pot 3 will be in Group A with Brazil. I think the European Team in Pot 3 will be in the Colombia, Argentina or Uruguay group. Which African Team do you think will be in Group A with Brazil?"

http://malawi.worldcupblog.org/team-news/fifa-world-cup-brazil-2014-draw.html

Pot 2 is dire - the US and/or Mexico would have to drawn in with the right teams to create a group of death.

Spain-Mexico-Ghana-Italy

Yikes.

From what I've seen Japan is really good out of that pot too. They beat a full Belgium 3-2 today and tied Netherlands 2-2 last time around.

On another note, Canada failed to score again losing 1-0 to Slovenia.

were you able to catch any of the game? It actually wasn't that bad of a performance, floro seams to be making progress even without a few of our top players available.

What Canada sorely needs is Camilo and a few other MLS players gaining canadian citizenship.

I didn't see it, no. It is on tonight but not sure will watch. We haven't scored a goal in what 10 games? How is that possible? Seriously.

We are down to 111 in the world.

I agree with JCY, there is NO reason we should not be top 30 given the wealth in this country. I know our best athletes go into hockey etc and that soccer is the sport the poor people play, those parents who won't put out money for hockey, but still.

We'll never be a good soccer country. Weather not good enough for the masses to play it year round, and as mentioned our best athletes play hockey. *shrug*

Well IMO if we had out top players playing for Canada we would have qualified or been very close to qualifying for this World Cup (both De Guzman, and Hoillet are the guys I'm talking about).

We should be better and the main reason we are not scoring is we are building many of the young players up (osorio, bekker, ouimeltte, tiebert etc) with international experience. We are going through a changing of the guard and well we are taking some severe lumps for it. Can't really defend the results but for now i'm trying to look at how we are looking in terms of growth and hopefully we have this group ready to go for Gold cup 2015.

It's more about the CSA's lack of development than it is anything else. There are tons of examples in the sporting world of nations punching well above their weight, as long as they have a well funded, professional development system.

With that said, isn't this something that the MLS academy system was supposed to help in addressing over time? With Toronto, Montreal, & Vancouver allegedly having legitimate academy style development of Canadian kids, the line of thought was that over the years, we'd start to see a stronger and stronger national team.

It's more about the CSA's lack of development than it is anything else. There are tons of examples in the sporting world of nations punching well above their weight, as long as they have a well funded, professional development system.

With that said, isn't this something that the MLS academy system was supposed to help in addressing over time? With Toronto, Montreal, & Vancouver allegedly having legitimate academy style development of Canadian kids, the line of thought was that over the years, we'd start to see a stronger and stronger national team.

I would say that we are just starting to see the fruits of the academy systems... pointing to Henry, osorio, and morgan(less so morgan) from the TFC academy as well as many of the younger national teams being filled almost exclusively by these academies. The biggest failure right now from these academies is not the development from 12-18 it is the transition from 18 year old to first team playing minutes, it is something that I know TFC are looking at and hopefully they have the solution in place for next season as Q Roberts and Manny Apricio both need minutes to develop.

I can't speak to the Impact or Whitecaps systems in terms of development.

We don't really have worse weather than say Finland, Sweden, Norway and Russia.

I have your point though. Here soccer is a summer sport except out west where it is a winter sport.

I don't expect us to be a WC winner, never will happen, but at least be ****ing competitive. We lost to Martinique this year for God's sake.

We'll never be a good soccer country. Weather not good enough for the masses to play it year round, and as mentioned our best athletes play hockey. *shrug*

Iceland is barely larger than Richmond Hill and they play on a small volcanic island covered in ice and hydrothermal vents. They almost qualified for the World Cup.

No excuses.

Hell, there's no excuse why we couldn't field a team entirely of Lower Mainland British Columbians. It's good weather all year there.

Back