• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

Weather is shit.... we have enough indoor facilities to keep top players training. It's all about how we develop players and how much politics goes into youth soccer... hopefully some of that is addressed with the a new development curriculum and the OPDL (at least in Ontario).

Honestly Soccer needs to take a look at how tennis has developed in Canada and use as much of that platform as possible

Sweden can develop real players... and no, not just Zlatan.

Governance and resources are issues. Canada needs the club teams to patiently build proper academies (NASL teams too), and the kids need to get high level, professional grade coaching - and early. The CSA should coordinate and track talent at different age groups, and set up "centres of excellence" for each cohort. The trick here is to get the clubs to buy in. This is an age old dilemma for all national associations.

Last edited:
France would find a way for sure.

Even though Bosnia probably played their best game EVER, in fact dominated France in an away game for the qualifiers some years back. Ended 1-1.

In the rush to bash France, which is a favourite sport among many, a lot of people forget how good their players really are in terms of athleticism and technical ability.

Self-centred and seemingly unmanageable head cases? Yup. Sometimes, maybe often. But if they get their sh*t together, watch out. And the tide may have turned, the addition of Pogba and Varanne changes the dynamic. And benching that petulant Nasri for Valbuena had an immediate impact. Deschamps showed some intelligence there.

Last edited:
Yeah, the physical abilities and technical abilities of the French players are out of this world, but they struggle in the final third. They have a lot of players who want to carry that ball into the net. That is why Benzema upfront really never made sense with that group. I seem him more as a technical oriented striker who likes to dribble and beat guys. They def needa more direct type of striker who can score. Second, despite all the talent, the skill, I feel they didn't have the soccer iq in the middle of the field, some general, to really organize the play well and make good decisions with the ball. That is why Pogba is so key.

In the rush to bash France, which is a favourite sport among many, a lot of people forget how good their players really are in terms of athleticism and technical ability.

Self-centred and seemingly unmanageable head cases? Yup. Sometimes, maybe often. But of they get their sh*t together, watch out. And the tide may have turned, the addition of Pogba and Varanne changes the dynamic. And benching that petulant Nasri for Valbuena had an immediate impact. Deschamps showed some intelligence there.

Yup. Totally agree. Pogba could be the next Vieira/Makélélé.

Giroud gives them an option to use a more direct option up front.

To me, aside from Spain, Brazil and Argentina, that France team is the toughest to play against. It's amazing how much speed, skill, strength they have on that team. As already mentioned, I also think accuracy seemed off so often(for years they could barely beat those bunker teams)..I think you guys are right, this might be the time everything changes with the new additions. I wouldn't want to be Bosnia in that group above..France and Brazil go through..Even Japan probably finishes ahead of us. That's a strong side.

For Bosnia i'm hoping we get Switzerland, Algeria and maybe USA(just because i think they're underestimating us because they beat us in a friendly where we subbed off like 3 of our starters and had injuries to other starters)...

I heard Bosnia could be that nation in the African pot. That be brutal. In the FIFA rankings for Nov I think we will drop to 21st in the rankings.

How can there be rumours? Unless the draw is fixed(which it could be) there shouldn't be any rumours regarding who is in which group.

People always throw out these rumours and then it never happens and then they just go on to the next thing.

Before the playoff draw the crazies were saying that Portugal and France would get the easy draws and of course they got the two toughest teams.

To me, aside from Spain, Brazil and Argentina, that France team is the toughest to play against. It's amazing how much speed, skill, strength they have on that team. As already mentioned, I also think accuracy seemed off so often(for years they could barely beat those bunker teams)..I think you guys are right, this might be the time everything changes with the new additions. I wouldn't want to be Bosnia in that group above..France and Brazil go through..Even Japan probably finishes ahead of us. That's a strong side.

For Bosnia i'm hoping we get Switzerland, Algeria and maybe USA(just because i think they're underestimating us because they beat us in a friendly where we subbed off like 3 of our starters and had injuries to other starters)...

Germany and Colombia are way tougher to play against than France.

France will be lucky if they can get to the final 8. Pogba is super talented, but 2014 World Cup is still too early for him to be the impact player people pegged him to be.

Back