• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

So how are we looking for 2026? I've only barely been following the drama with Herdman saying he shouldn't have coached the MNT at the World Cup, and the whole CSA/CSB debacle.

Nationalism has me ready to dive in but my sports time is limited these days, so I have to be picky. Is Canada Soccer a mess or should I be excited?

Last edited:
So how are we looking for 2026? I've only barely been following the drama with Herdman saying he shouldn't have coached the MNT at the World Cup, and the whole CSA/CSB debacle.

Nationalism has me ready to dive in but my sports time is limited these days, so I have to be picky. Is Canada Soccer a mess or should I be excited?
Yes

Well, it hasn't been the greatest year for the players, but the young talent is all still there.

F David (23, FRA) - not a good year so far but starting to score lately, and still on big clubs' radars

F Larin (28, SPA)- not going great for him after a fairly big move to Mallorca but i think he's scored a couple recently.

Also still have Hoillett around, with 24yr old Liam Millar playing well in england's second division.

W Laryea (28, CAN) - good enough in Vancouver this year to be nominated for Canadian Player of the Year.

CM Eustaquio (27, POR) - same strong play from him at the heart of Porto's midfield. Some injury issues but nothing too severe.

CM Kone (21, ENG-2) - starting to break out a bit in 2nd level in england. Scored a coupla absolute bangers in the last month.

W Tajon (24, ITA) - not a great year for him so far but the fact that Inter is still so high on him is a very good sign given their track record with players recently.

Also still have Osorio around, who is solid. And 25yr old Harry Paton who's a fulltime starter in scotland's top division.

LB Davies (23, GER) - some drama this year but still a stud, and Real Madrid is likely buying him this summer.

CB Miller (26, USA) - developing into a dependable CB and Portland just handed Miami a pretty hefty (for MLS) fee for him to pretty much be the anchor of their defense.

CB Cornelius (26, SWE) - big year for him moving from MLS to Malmo in sweden. Was a team anchor on the league's best defense and they won the league title after finishing 7th the year before. He played most every match for them.

RB Johnston (25, SCO) - fan favorite for Celtic since arriving there. Though they were pretty bad in champions' league.

and there's 18yr old Fullham CB Luc De Fougerolles who has already started for Fullham in cup games. Also Adekube still around.

GK Crepeau (29, USA) - seemingly had a very strong year for LAFC after breaking his leg the year before, but they just went out and bought Hugo Lloris from Tottenham. Lloris has been a great goalie for a while but still that's not so good for Crepeau, who will likely move on to another team now. Kinda short for a keeper tbh.

GK St.Clair (26, USA) - not sure how he's played this year but looked quite good in the gold cup.

GK Sirois (22, CAN) - had a great rookie year in Montreal and they signed him to a multi year extension. Also short for a keeper tho.

I think these old guys are done for now but I guess still have a chance to be depth guys:

CB Vitoria (36, POR)
GK Borjan (36, SVK)

We have the players to do damage but the federation sold itself out (likely corruptly) to subsidize the CPL owners (mainly CFL owners).

Can't afford proper games, camps or supports. While the sponsorship was sold for 30 years for ~$4 Mil per year

What a goal from Porro…..bit of a tough game, but created some nice chances, and it was super cool seeing young Donley getting some minutes.

Insane finish….😮….what a chance for Burley.

(Also amazing seeing VDV & Sess back in the squad…feels huge having survived VDV being out so long.)

Back