• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: Soccer thread

Squad named this morning and it's only 26 guys so this might be the final Copa roster.

Even though Marsh says he doesn't want Davies stuck at left back, imo it's hard to see where else he goes given that both Shaffelburg and Miller play exclusively attacking left wing and imo both deserve playing time.

I'll put the named players in what the natural formation looks like to me - i'm not sure i see anything else here other than a squad set up for a straight up 4-4-2:

David --- Larin
Bair --- Ugbo
(Brym)

Millar --- Eustaquio --- Kone --- Buchanan
Shaffelburg --- Choiniere --- Osorio --- Hoilet
(Piette)

Davies --- Miller --- Cornelius --- Johnston
Zator* --- Bombito --- Hibert --- Laryea
(Fougerolles)

Crepeau
St.Clair
McGill
(Swiderski)

* = pretty sure Zator is there only because Adekugbe is injured.
Though I guess I do see some potential for more of a 3-striker setup given that all of Hoilet, Millar, Shaffelburg are very much attacking wingers who usually play very high up in near strike roles.

Last edited:
Squad named this morning and it's only 26 guys so this might be the final Copa roster.

Even though Marsh says he doesn't want Davies stuck at left back, imo it's hard to see where else he goes given that both Shaffelburg and Miller play exclusively attacking left wing and imo both deserve playing time.

I'll put the named players in what the natural formation looks like to me - i'm not sure i see anything else here other than a squad set up for a straight up 4-4-2:

David --- Larin
Bair --- Ugbo

Shaffelburg --- Choiniere --- Osorio --- Hoilet
(Piette)

Davies --- Miller --- Cornelius --- Johnston
Zator* --- Bombito --- Hibert --- Laryea
(Fougerolles)

Crepeau
St.Clair
McGill
(Swiderski)

* = pretty sure Zator is there only because Adekugbe is injured.
Though I guess I do see some potential for more of a 3-striker setup given that all of Hoilet, Millar, Shaffelburg are very much attacking wingers who usually play very high up in near strike roles.
Richie can play the left if davies stays in an attacking position.

I also wouldn't call this the Copa squad necessarily but we will see.

Not too many surprises there but some interesting ones:

- Borjan finally confirmed to be done. This had to be done even though the other goalies don't inspire confidence either. St.Clair maybe has the most upside but he's 27 and upside might not matter anymore.

- CB McGraw didn't make it - one of the least encouraging things right now is that Portland decided to bolster their defense this year with 3 canadians - Miller-McGraw at centre back and Crepeau in goal - and they've been an absolute disaster defensively as a team. That sucks.

- Vitoria, Waterman, Kennedy out of the center back battle for now. Nothing crazy but those guys have lots of caps.

- 23yr old midfielder Ahmed left out. I don't know that he deserves to be in but plenty like him and he does have skill.

- 21yr old Striker Russell-Rowe left out. Not crazy but he's a pretty exciting youngster.

Oh i missed one name - C.A. Brym is in. He's another Striker/Winger type so maybe coach is leaving himself room for a 3-striker attack.

@Deckie007 We negotiated an extension of Timo Werner’s loan with us, for next season. With an option to buy of €10m after that.

Amazing bit of business for us….frees up cash to bolster ourselves elsewhere, that we’d have otherwise needed to spend on a pricey replacement.

Excited for him to get a full training camp with Ange now too.

So Canada has one of the bigger games ever against the Dutch tomorrow (followed by France on Sunday, and then Argentina to open the Copa the next week).

I think this roster fits the standard 4-4-2 best of all, with their strength on the wings and the need to have two stay at home defensive dmen in the middle given their lack of quality there.

My preference would be:

David --- Larin

Davies --- Cornelius --- Bombito --- Johnston

Crepeau

Though I have a feeling Davies might be pushed up to left mid, with a more stay at home guy like Hiebert at left back. Though he could put Laryea there for more skill, too.

Shaffelburg I have right there with Millar so either of them in that left mid spot would be good to me.

That lineup would leave a pretty natural 1-for-1 reserve squad:

Bair --- Ugbo

Shaffelburg --- Osorio --- Piette --- Hoilett

Zator* --- Hiebert --- Miller --- Laryea​

Though I guess Hoilett really isn't an out and out winger like that, and is more of a 2nd striker type.

Zator only in that spot because Adekugbe is injured.

Anyways, massive games coming up for this NT and it;s new coach. We'll see if this team has anything to be excited about pretty quick.

I don't expect any wins the next 3, but good showings would be nice. And then they can go into the first round games against Peru and Chile with some confidence. They already have more talent than those two teams, so they have a real chance to get out of the first round if they can play with some discipline and compete.

netherlands picking up the pressure as the half goes on. Canada unable to keep up the relentless high press all half long.

cornelius forced to clear a ball off the line to save a goal.

lol with seconds left in the half we somehow give up a 2-man breakaway all the way from the half line.

but st.clair with the big save.

some nice speed and hustle by Bombito to get back pressure and take away any options.

And the uber aggressive Jesse Marsch Press rears it's ugly head with a couple more mistakes leaving miles of space behijd the defensive line and it's 2-0 holland.

Back