• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

Raw potatoes contain solanine, small amounts likely won't hurt the dog but chronic ingestion or a large amount can cause damage.

Plain cooked potatoes are good for them in moderation (boiled is considered the same as raw).
solanine in sweet potatoes too? that is what she usually gets (helps keep her system well lubricated if you know what I mean). potatoes are just the compost scraps

Coincidentally (or perhaps in honor of zeke) my wife is making beef bourguignon today. That is exciting stuff.

The Great Stew Paradox - do you waste prime cuts of meat by burying it in stew because you can't bear eating the shitty gristly cuts that stew was alwas intended for, or do you use shitty cuts of meat as stew was always intended for and realize just how shitty stew actually is?

The Great Stew Paradox - do you waste prime cuts of meat by burying it in stew because you can't bear eating the shitty gristly cuts that stew was alwas intended for, or do you use shitty cuts of meat as stew was always intended for and realize just how shitty stew actually is?
Mind blown

that said if stewing beef is seasoned and cooked correctly it’s not as terrible as zeke claims

It's a mentality that I grew up with because growing up poor, that's what stews were for me. I get where zeke is coming from. It took a long time to rewire my brain and experience several stews worthy of elite cuts of meat and rich, savory umami bombs to truly understand the potential of what a good stew can be.

I will not take part in the shaming of zeke on this particular topic. He is just sheltered much like I once was.

Use chuck or the non steak parts of the sirloin (tri-tip, etc), problem solved.

Neither a shitty cut of meat, nor a prime steak cut.

And lots of potato, halved

Potatoes have their place in some stews, but not all.

Beef Bourguignon is the king imo, and there's no potato in it, same with Coq au vin. There's a bunch of real gud mexican stews (pozole, tinga, & especially birria) and not a single potato was harmed. Paprikash is technically a stew and no potato. Oxtail ditto.

Irish/UK stews almost all have potato though and yeah, tend to be overrated imo. Guinness beef stew is probably the only one that holds up.

It's kind of crazy to think of how bad Zeke's take is here. Make LoF look like Jacques Pepin.

Potatoes have their place in some stews, but not all.

Beef Bourguignon is the king imo, and there's no potato in it, same with Coq au vin. There's a bunch of real gud mexican stews (pozole, tinga, & especially birria) and not a single potato was harmed. Paprikash is technically a stew and no potato. Oxtail ditto.

Irish/UK stews almost all have potato though and yeah, tend to be overrated imo. Guinness beef stew is probably the only one that holds up.

It's kind of crazy to think of how bad Zeke's take is here. Make LoF look like Jacques Pepin.
If you would be willing to dm me a Mexican stew recipe I’d very much appreciate that

The ‘shitty’ cuts are only as shitty as the dork preparing them

Back