• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Official Toronto Raptors Thread

Masai and his assistant to the regional Ujiri keep saying they want to trade for a superstar too. They missed on Dame, how many guys do they expect to hit the market before the clock runs out on OG and Pascal hitting FA? Lavine may not be perfect but he's yanno, out there, and does the things we do not.

He feels like a salary dump more than a Mitchell trade.

Matching salaries and some picks at best i think

oh, 100%. Spider was 25 yrs old and a top 10 offensive player in the league. Lavine is in the middle of a bad start, is 28 and coming off of two good-very good offensive seasons, but more ~30th best in the league type stuff, not top 10 like Spider and is owed top 15 money for not being a top 15 player the next 2 seasons. Gary + Boucher + Thad gets you there money wise I think, or close enough to massage shit around and make it work. Might add a 1st on top of that, but that's about it.

Fwiw, this is the list of guys to keep an eye on in the star deparment, and imo adding a Zach Lavine type (especially insulating him here with Scottie & Pascal) would help us get eventually, not hurt us.

- Markannen: Is coming up on needing to get paiiid, and Utah is turrible. He might be a stud. Is a top 15 offensive player in the NBA but it's hard to know if he's ass defensively being on a bad team.
- SGA: There's talk of him "putting down roots" in OKC and this is a bit pipe dreamy, but he lives in the GTA in the off season, his long time SO is from Hamilton, etc.
- Lebron: If Bronny's heart is fine and he plays well enough for USC this year to come out....just draft Bronny. Instant Lebronto.
- Jah Morant: Memphis definitely takes another kick at the can, but our gun laws would be the best thing for his career

Fwiw, this is the list of guys to keep an eye on in the star deparment, and imo adding a Zach Lavine type (especially insulating him here with Scottie & Pascal) would help us get eventually, not hurt us.

- Markannen: Is coming up on needing to get paiiid, and Utah is turrible. He might be a stud. Is a top 15 offensive player in the NBA but it's hard to know if he's ass defensively being on a bad team.
- SGA: There's talk of him "putting down roots" in OKC and this is a bit pipe dreamy, but he lives in the GTA in the off season, his long time SO is from Hamilton, etc.
- Lebron: If Bronny's heart is fine and he plays well enough for USC this year to come out....just draft Bronny. Instant Lebronto.
- Jah Morant: Memphis definitely takes another kick at the can, but our gun laws would be the best thing for his career
Do you find it odd, that in literally no other aspect in life are you this optimistic? What is it about this team/sport that gets you all googaly eyed and weak in the knees?

What’s the feeling about OG and Siakam possibly not extending. We’re getting into that territory of the season now. Do we even want Siakam at 40ish +?

I think OG is an easy want to sign. What if he doesn’t want to?

I know I’ve said it numerous times but if all of them leave as free agents than we really need to reevaluate management.

Maybe it’ll be time for someone whose sole focus is the raptors and not humanitarian issues in Africa.

Do you find it odd, that in literally no other aspect in life are you this optimistic? What is it about this team/sport that gets you all googaly eyed and weak in the knees?

I love that I predicted almost exactly how they were going to become a contender/win a chip the 1st time, but I'm laughed at when I suggest that the same guys might follow the same blueprint to do it again. All of this from the same fucking guy who chirps me over my negativity about a baseball team management group that I also predicted the course of with fairly fucking eery accuracy.

Clown.Shoes.

What’s the feeling about OG and Siakam possibly not extending. We’re getting into that territory of the season now. Do we even want Siakam at 40ish +?

Do we want Pascal at 40+: Yes. Those are just the economics of the NBA. Scottie will make 60 a season one day.

As for OG, yeah, gotta sign him. I disagree with but getting playing hardball of sorts with Fred. Small unathletic guard in his late 20's, when the music stops you don't want to be the guy paying him 30+.

A lot of the issue right now is contract structure stuff most likely. Pascal is going to want to wait to see if he makes all NBA again. If Pascal makes All NBA this year, he's eligible for a supermax extension (35% of the cap instead of 30%). Similarly, OG is going to want to see if he win DPOY before he signs an extension imo. The max he's able to be offered is 4/117 and he's heavily coveted around the league. If he wins DPOY he can be 7 yr supermaxed. If OG misses enough games that he can't get to the new 65 game plateau required for award consideration, I think he'll circle around and sign that deal.

NBA economics are goofy and getting goofier. The tax line next season is projected at 172.5 million with the first apron at just under 180 million. If you're spending to the apron, and you're really only concerned about "paying" 8-9 guys, you can easily afford to spend ~120 million on Pascal, OG, and say, Lavine. Scottie's rookie max is capped for his first extension too, so he's "cheap" for another 4 years after this one.

I love that I predicted almost exactly how they were going to become a contender/win a chip the 1st time, but I'm laughed at when I suggest that the same guys might follow the same blueprint to do it again. All of this from the same fucking guy who chirps me over my negativity about a baseball team management group that I also predicted the course of with fairly fucking eery accuracy.

Clown.Shoes.
Hey, you won me over on the baseball fuckers, just took you 9 years.

Problem with OG is some team like Philly may pony up 40 mil on a short term deal like Fred got

Do we want Pascal at 40+: Yes. Those are just the economics of the NBA. Scottie will make 60 a season one day.

As for OG, yeah, gotta sign him. I disagree with but getting playing hardball of sorts with Fred. Small unathletic guard in his late 20's, when the music stops you don't want to be the guy paying him 30+.

A lot of the issue right now is contract structure stuff most likely. Pascal is going to want to wait to see if he makes all NBA again. If Pascal makes All NBA this year, he's eligible for a supermax extension (35% of the cap instead of 30%). Similarly, OG is going to want to see if he win DPOY before he signs an extension imo. The max he's able to be offered is 4/117 and he's heavily coveted around the league. If he wins DPOY he can be 7 yr supermaxed. If OG misses enough games that he can't get to the new 65 game plateau required for award consideration, I think he'll circle around and sign that deal.

NBA economics are goofy and getting goofier. The tax line next season is projected at 172.5 million with the first apron at just under 180 million. If you're spending to the apron, and you're really only concerned about "paying" 8-9 guys, you can easily afford to spend ~120 million on Pascal, OG, and say, Lavine. Scottie's rookie max is capped for his first extension too, so he's "cheap" for another 4 years after this one.
Great post as always and NBA economics are fucked

However , why go to these extremes on contracts

For example Brown got about 300 mil from Boston and is not a top 15 player in the game

If he leaves as a UFA or gets traded maybe the max he could get is lets say 230 , why not meet in the fucken middle ?

Great post as always and NBA economics are fucked

However , why go to these extremes on contracts

For example Brown got about 300 mil from Boston and is not a top 15 player in the game

If he leaves as a UFA or gets traded maybe the max he could get is lets say 230 , why not meet in the fucken middle ?

because someone else will create cap space and pay him. Want to keep him? Gotta pay him. The Philly/OG example is a good one. They're going to have like 80 million in cap space and then Maxey's bird rights. If they wanted to throw 2x40 at OG, then throw a bag at another 25-30M player (Demar? whoever), they could then spend like 20 million more on free agents....and then use their Bird rights to go over the cap and max Maxey, sign Oubre and any of the other in house UFA's of theirs they wanted to keep. It's a bit more complicated than that with cap holds and shit. But Philly could build a road map to something like that and as long as the moves were made in the right sequence probably end up somewhere around the 2nd apron with a really, really good roster.

Do I want to pay OG that much? Nah. But we can't be the only team in the league letting everyone poach our starters for stupid money. The economics of the game are what they are. Don't like it? Cool, fucking trade everyone before it's an issue.

because someone else will create cap space and pay him. Want to keep him? Gotta pay him. The Philly/OG example is a good one. They're going to have like 80 million in cap space and then Maxey's bird rights. If they wanted to throw 2x40 at OG, then throw a bag at another 25-30M player (Demar? whoever), they could then spend like 20 million more on free agents....and then use their Bird rights to go over the cap and max Maxey, sign Oubre and any of the other in house UFA's of theirs they wanted to keep. It's a bit more complicated than that with cap holds and shit. But Philly could build a road map to something like that and as long as the moves were made in the right sequence probably end up somewhere around the 2nd apron with a really, really good roster.

Do I want to pay OG that much? Nah. But we can't be the only team in the league letting everyone poach our starters for stupid money. The economics of the game are what they are. Don't like it? Cool, fucking trade everyone before it's an issue.
Sure another team creates the cap space but can he get that 300 getting traded

Not sure he could even get the 5th year if not Boston

Back