• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: The Toronto Blue Jays

Hopefully we're not talking about Bassitt the same way next year...

They keep playing this weird game that signing 32-33 yr olds to money and 3-4 years term isn't risky. But signing 28-30 yr olds to term and money is. You're just buying the bad years instead of the good ones.

I mean...we signed Bassitt to a 21 million dollar a year deal for his 34-35 & 36 yr old seasons.

The Yankees signed Rodon to a 27 million dollar a year deal for his 30-31-32-33-34 & 35 yr old seasons.

Why are we so fucking comfortable with the first one, but not the second?

They keep playing this weird game that signing 32-33 yr olds to money and 3-4 years term isn't risky. But signing 28-30 yr olds to term and money is. You're just buying the bad years instead of the good ones.

I mean...we signed Bassitt to a 21 million dollar a year deal for his 34-35 & 36 yr old seasons.

The Yankees signed Rodon to a 27 million dollar a year deal for his 30-31-32-33-34 & 35 yr old seasons.

Why are we so fucking comfortable with the first one, but not the second?
I bet Rodon breaks down first

I bet Rodon breaks down first
Rodon is such a mystery. There's a part of me that sees him as this elite SP and was signed to a huge discount. But also a big part that assumes he will be like Lincecum or guys like that and just completely and utterly fall apart.

Kyle Garlick

128 wRC+ Against LHP
9 Home Runs
90.2 EV
110.2 MaxEV
47.6% Hard Hit Rate
9.7% Barrel Rate
49.5% Pull Rate
1.1 BsR

4 years of control

Yeah i think this is Shatkins guy

Kyle Garlick

128 wRC+ Against LHP
9 Home Runs
90.2 EV
110.2 MaxEV
47.6% Hard Hit Rate
9.7% Barrel Rate
49.5% Pull Rate
1.1 BsR

4 years of control

Yeah i think this is Shatkins guy
4 years of control!

It’s actually pretty impressive that Garlick, (who turns 31 this month) has racked up nearly 3 years of service time and yet only has 345 career PA. He must be good.

I don't know anything about Anthony Castrovince (the writer of the article the tweet links to) but he must not live in Toronto, as I have heard that the Jays offense took a turn for the worst.... He didn't get the memo.

Anyway, here is his uninformed opinion of the Jays lineup:

3. Blue Jays

1) George Springer, RF
2) Bo Bichette, SS
3) Vladimir Guerrero Jr., 1B
4) Alejandro Kirk, C
5) Matt Chapman, 3B
6) Daulton Varsho, LF
7) Brandon Belt, DH
8) Santiago Espinal, 2B
9) Kevin Kiermaier, CF

When this list first ran, the Blue Jays were at No. 4, and it felt a bit ambitious given that they were still extremely right-handed and needed to account for the departure of Teoscar Hernández. Now, after the additions of Varsho and Belt, we can feel a lot more comfortable ranking them among the very best lineups in MLB. Last year, Toronto ranked second in MLB in wRC+ in 2022 (118), and the Blue Jays return four regulars (Springer, Kirk, Guerrero and Bichette) who were at least 29% better than league average last season, per wRC+. Add in Varsho, who discovered his power stroke in his first full season in Arizona last year, and Belt, whose veteran lefty bat balances the DH options, and this group can be an even bigger nightmare for opponents this year.

I don't know anything about Anthony Castrovince (the writer of the article the tweet links to) but he must not live in Toronto, as I have heard that the Jays offense took a turn for the worst.... He didn't get the memo.

Anyway, here is his uninformed opinion of the Jays lineup:

Moar lefties!

I like Bo, but he seems like the type of player that's going to want a massive contract as a free agent, but I don't think he's the sort of player you want to build around. Wouldn't shock me if the team takes the Teoscar route with him and dumps him in a year or two.

Back