• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Phase I Arena Renovations

They should move the state fairgrounds and use all that land for development, parking, etc. I think there is still land over by the farmers market.

They should move the state fairgrounds and use all that land for development, parking, etc. I think there is still land over by the farmers market.
There are a lot of permanent structures at the Fairgrounds that would have to be rebuilt. However, most of them are warehouse-like structures. And it’s a long walk to the arena; from the Kerr Scott building as an example it’s over 1 mile.

There are a lot of permanent structures at the Fairgrounds that would have to be rebuilt. However, most of them are warehouse-like structures. And it’s a long walk to the arena; from the Kerr Scott building as an example it’s over 1 mile.

Not necessarily parking for the arena but for the whole area that is being revitalized. You can even gimmick it up and put trolleys or some other type of shuttle in as transportation to different parts of the development. There is so much land over there that sits empty 90% of the year and it could be utilized to make the whole area more accessible and attractive

Hoo boy, I don't even want to think about how expensive premium ground parking is gonna be. Because they promised to maintain that on the West side for people who are willing to pay not to be trapped in a freaking concrete box for an hour or more after every game.

Not necessarily parking for the arena but for the whole area that is being revitalized. You can even gimmick it up and put trolleys or some other type of shuttle in as transportation to different parts of the development. There is so much land over there that sits empty 90% of the year and it could be utilized to make the whole area more accessible and attractive
I like this idea, let me park somewhere close but not too close to the clusterfuck after games and give some fans a trolley or way to get over there to the satellite lots for an easier out. Like JB mentioned, being trapped in a concrete box for an hour is not really much fun.

Chip tweeted that Brian Fork said the total commitment for all 3 phases is $800 million but will probably be close to $1 billion. Phase I will take 4-5 years to complete.

feels like the complete opposite of what tailgating should be
This! Sitting outside on a beautiful day is the whole point of tailgating. Will tailgaters first have to park in one of the decks and carry their stuff down to the confined corridor? Will grills be allowed? Maybe future details will provide an explanation.

We currently park in the back row and exit onto the I-40/Wade highway. It takes about 5 minutes to exit the arena. The thought of being trapped in a parking deck seems like a nightmare. But we'll see....

This! Sitting outside on a beautiful day is the whole point of tailgating. Will tailgaters first have to park in one of the decks and carry their stuff down to the confined corridor? Will grills be allowed? Maybe future details will provide an explanation.

We currently park in the back row and exit onto the I-40/Wade highway. It takes about 5 minutes to exit the arena. The thought of being trapped in a parking deck seems like a nightmare. But we'll see....
Thats where we are too, it makes for a relatively painless exit onto Wade after the game. We were even able to snag that spot for thr outdoor game.

And there is this from Chip. The Centennial Authority voted this morning on a 10 year naming rights deal with Lenovo. It is now the Lenovo Center.

View: https://x.com/ice_chip/status/1834206336306835576?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Those tailgating suites are what's known as an option, not a requirement. There will still be plenty of parking lot left for hardcore parking lot people ... I mean tailgaters. Also, like I tell my State folks, please keep in mind that not every parking decision has to revolve around tailgating. That's something that a strong minority of people who go to games enjoy a great deal. And while it somehow has come to define fan culture, the majority of people coming to Canes games just want to park, go to the game and get out afterwards in a reasonable amount of time.

I love our tailgating culture, but yeah, I don't participate in that even much these days. Hell, I don't even park in the main lots anymore. Too expensive!

My kingdom for a direct bus line from downtown Cary to the arena. Come on, make it happen, jerkwads!

I love our tailgating culture, but yeah, I don't participate in that even much these days. Hell, I don't even park in the main lots anymore. Too expensive!

My kingdom for a direct bus line from downtown Cary to the arena. Come on, make it happen, jerkwads!
I’m literally a straight shot to the arena. I turn right off my street and the next turn I make is a left off EMR into the parking lot. But to get there by bus, I’d have to drive about 1-1/2 miles south, park my car in a shopping center and risk having it towed and change busses at Crabtree Valley Mall.

As they add additional drinking establishment options, they should also provide additional ride share options of all types ... including shuttles and buses. Find a sponsor and bring back the North Hills bus, provide Wolfline service from the Campus area, regular public service from Durham, Cary and Raleigh's suburbs, better rideshare pickup and drop off areas ... these are all do-able.

Back