• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

PLAYOFF GDT: Series 3 / Game 6: VS Las Vegas, Thursday, June 24nd, 8:00EST (Habs Lead 3-2)

Habs4Life

P17.jpg

The media the other night was wondering if things might get out of hand in terms of the city celebration if we advance, with the holiday playing into it as well. And we would have won nothing yet.

A bunch of us here live or have lived in Montreal, many of you far longer than I did, and have inside insight into the city. Years ago, the parade would follow "the usual route". I don't recall any riots, disruption, etc. The universe was merely unfoldng as it should. Upheaval did occur during those times, such as the FLQ crisis, the Richard riot, but was related to other things. Not winning Stanley Cups.

Something changed-more in society than in one particular city I'm sure. Kind of sad. I'm all for disruption to a degree when its something worth disrupting. Not this nonsense, if, in fact, its a reality. .

Feels like a “must win” tonight even if technically not. I think we’ve pushed our luck in Vegas about as far as we can. But no reason not to close it out tonight, we’ve been the much better team since Fleury’s gift to us last Friday.

yeah true. I don't want to go back there again. What I saw Tuesday was a team in Vegas that had given up. There was no push in the 3rd period despite scoring early. Their two seven game series has caught up to them

worst part is, again, I have something the night of the game (partners' meeting) AND my son has a baseball game from 7-9. He has shit almost every game night, grrr, so looks like I will be watching at 9:30pm PT groan

The media the other night was wondering if things might get out of hand in terms of the city celebration if we advance, with the holiday playing into it as well. And we would have won nothing yet.

A bunch of us here live or have lived in Montreal, many of you far longer than I did, and have inside insight into the city. Years ago, the parade would follow "the usual route". I don't recall any riots, disruption, etc. The universe was merely unfoldng as it should. Upheaval did occur during those times, such as the FLQ crisis, the Richard riot, but was related to other things. Not winning Stanley Cups.

Something changed-more in society than in one particular city I'm sure. Kind of sad. I'm all for disruption to a degree when its something worth disrupting. Not this nonsense, if, in fact, its a reality. .
All cities now descend into violence and vandalism whenever the local sports team can be used as cover.

In 86, we had our first hockey-related riot since 1955. It was somewhat organic. It just sort of happened and because the game was played in Calgary the local cops didn't figure there'd be anything to worry about. Consequently there was no extra police presence that night. A month or two later the same sorts of shenanigans on a slightly smaller scale happened during the fireworks competitions at La Ronde. All kinds of violence occurred on the Jacques Cartier Bridge during the show. Again, the police response was a joke, which is why these things started happening with more regularity.

By the time the Habs won (at home) in 1993, a riot was pretty much expected and that's exactly what happened. The following year when I was living in Vancouver, the Canucks went to the finals, lost game 7 and everyone STILL rioted. I remember sitting on the bus downtown that morning watching business owners along Robson Street boarding up their shop windows because they knew there'd be trouble no matter which team won. And in front of any bar with a TV inside, people were lined up to get a table at 8am, so you can imagine that by the time the game was over many people had been drinking literally all day. By the time 2011 rolled around everyone in Vancouver knew there was going to be a riot. People who didn't give a damn about sports put on their bandannas and came downtown to make trouble.

And I know that in Montreal they don't even wait around for the Habs to be in the finals anymore. A few years back we beat Boston in the first round and cop cars got torched. Any excuse will suffice.

I won't be surprised if there's trouble on the streets tonight if the Habs win or Saturday win or lose if it goes 7. And if they go to the final whatever the final outcome of the series will not matter. It's just a thing that's going to happen.

Feels like a “must win” tonight even if technically not. I think we’ve pushed our luck in Vegas about as far as we can. But no reason not to close it out tonight, we’ve been the much better team since Fleury’s gift to us last Friday.
If we let them off the hook tonight we deserve to lose and we will. Vegas isn't going to keep playing like the 78 Cleveland Barons forever. Sooner or later they could wake up.

Back