• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

That's one hell of a coincidence. Carey is heading to Seattle to see friends and family.

what else do players do during their down time?

especially this year when family time has been reduced to zero

what else do players do during their down time?

especially this year when family time has been reduced to zero
It's definitely a big coincidence to be driving to Seattle on the eve of the expansion draft. Unless of course it's not a coincidence.

My guess is that tomorrow will be anticlimactic (Kulak or Byron) and Copernicus will be scrabbling to get mid priced UFAs to replace Danault and Tatar.
I still believe it's Kulak... but this coincidence definitely has moved up the possibility that's it's Carey.

LeBrun said that was happening tomorrow
No Thursday:

Here’s what I believe to be true so far:

• There’s an expectation that Seattle, at the 11th hour, will inform Montreal what the price would be not to take Price. As of late afternoon Tuesday, that had not happened yet. But if it does, here’s the poker game: Are the Kraken really ready to take on that massive contract? Does Marc Bergevin call their bluff and say “take him, we’re not paying an asset”? Or does he feel compelled to make sure he doesn’t lose No. 31? To me, he’s already pot-committed, to stay with the poker analogy, once he agreed with Price to go this route. So why pay an asset now?
  • Price has a doctor’s appointment Thursday in New York City for his knee, which might need surgery, although while he’s there they’ll want to check out his hip just to make sure. (As an aside, if Seattle is picking him and wants him there Wednesday evening for the unveil, they better tell him sooner rather than later before he gets on his Wednesday flight for New York.) It’s this health concern that prompted Price himself to come up with this stunning idea of exposing him and protecting Jake Allenjust in case Price wasn’t ready to start the season. Price, I’m told, even called Allen before doing this to make sure he was OK with it.
My guess is Allen was indeed good with it just based on what he told Montreal reporters July 9 in his season-ending exit interview:

“I understand what’s at stake, but I signed here to play with the Montreal Canadiens, and that’s where I am right now,” Allen said. “And unless something changes, that’s my No. 1 objective. We’ll cross that bridge when it comes. But I understand that this is not a normal year and that free agency and the expansion draft, all that is within 10-14 days, so decisions have to be made, and we’ll see what happens.”

• The Kraken, for what it’s worth, have had a few calls over the last few days with Price’s camp led by agent Gerry Johannson, doing a deep dive before making their decision and they have had access to his medical file.
  • This all developed late last week. Until Friday, the Habs, I believe, were talking to teams about a potential Allen trade instead of losing him for nothing in the expansion draft. And Montreal had also started looking at the free-agent market for potential Allen replacements. But then came Price’s solution to it all on Friday and well, that changed everything.

Ok. Appt Thursday. But flying out Wednesday during the draft presentation.

#negative_coincidence

Back