• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Season Ending State of the Union / Expansion Draft Thread

People forget (or choose to ignore) that they have 30 millions in cap space right now. There's a lot of building left to be done. And yes, their D is already excellent.

I think they make the playoffs.
Good post. I don't remember the Vegas roster looking all that good at the time, and certainly no one was picking them as a playoff team. (Well, I did, but that was likely by default.... I didn't much care for many of the other teams in the division either). Marchesnault, Smith, Karlsson etc. were not viewed all that highly.

When I look at all the high price talent available to Seattle, I'm not sure it would have done much for them. Most of it was overvalued, and hence on the market.....they can grow and build with what they picked, and have flexibility.

Goaltending may be an issue at the moment.

Good post. I don't remember the Vegas roster looking all that good at the time, and certainly no one was picking them as a playoff team. (Well, I did, but that was likely by default.... I didn't much care for many of the other teams in the division either). Marchesnault, Smith, Karlsson etc. were not viewed all that highly.

When I look at all the high price talent available to Seattle, I'm not sure it would have done much for them. Most of it was overvalued, and hence on the market.....they can grow and build with what they picked.
I think there's only like 5 players still on Vegas that were acquired in the expansion draft. A lot of roster turnover.

Vegas draft was similar....only difference is they took Marc-André Fleury and he was presented as the main prize at the end of the Vegas draft show, so people remember that and think their lineup was good.

I think there's only like 5 players still on Vegas that were acquired in the expansion draft. A lot of roster turnover.

Vegas got side deals and players that are 5+ year building blocks

Kracken got zilch that are core building blocks , team is completely turned over in 2-3 years

I know hindsight is 20-20, but Vegas took way more star power. James Neal, Marchessault (off a 30 goal season), Perron, would be top 3 players on the Kraken upfront. Plus an established goalie. Seattle is super green in net

They have some of the Perron/Neal types in Eberle, Jarnkrok and Donskoi, and a stud on defense with Giardano, but no Fleury in net and I don't know who will be providing the Marchessault/Karlsson type of offense.

They have some of the Perron/Neal types in Eberle, Jarnkrok and Donskoi, and a stud on defense with Giardano, but no Fleury in net and I don't know who will be providing the Marchessault/Karlsson type of offense.
Gourde? McCann? Appleton? Geekie? Even Tanev? They will be all playing different roles, so who knows what their offensive potential may amount to. A couple of others may emerge from the bushes. After Vegas, nothing would surprise me. Maybe Seattle figured there really wasn't much difference between those guys and their potential and some of the other overpaid talent available they chose not to take. Whether Francis, Granato etc. are correct remains to be seen.

Back