• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Shane Wright

I’ve got no clue what it’ll take, I suspect the focus will be on trading 2OA for a winger who can try to elevate Hischier’s game given all the time & $ the org has invested in what is shaping up as a 50-60pts 1OA pick (perhaps some package around fellow countryman Fiala).

Word on the street is NJD owner Josh Harris is starting to lose patience and wants playoff revenue now…
Wouldn't using the 2OA on that big Slovak winger elevate Hischier's game better than Drouin could?

But if the Habs somehow did get the 2OA, do they take that big Slovak winger or do they take Cooley?

We're in a perfect position to be taking chances on players. I'd 100% take a shot on Maxime Comtois if he happens to pass on waivers. Identify players that used to be perceived at having a higher upside and have fallen out of favor, and wait until they pass on waivers or are available for our own prospects that may have fallen out of favor (Norlinder for example).

I’ve got no clue what it’ll take, I suspect the focus will be on trading 2OA for a winger who can try to elevate Hischier’s game given all the time & $ the org has invested in what is shaping up as a 50-60pts 1OA pick (perhaps some package around fellow countryman Fiala).

Word on the street is NJD owner Josh Harris is starting to lose patience and wants playoff revenue now…
We don't have anyone they'd want. Maybe Caufield to rejoin Hughes but I don't think I make that deal. Small or not.

But having a 6'4" winger with offensive skill on one side of Wright or Suzuki and Caufield on the other could be tasty.
If it’s accurate the owner wants playoffs now, that prospect doesn’t fit the mandate - hence the GM stating publicly he’s looking to move the pick for an established player(s)

We're in a perfect position to be taking chances on players. I'd 100% take a shot on Maxime Comtois if he happens to pass on waivers. Identify players that used to be perceived at having a higher upside and have fallen out of favor, and wait until they pass on waivers or are available for our own prospects that may have fallen out of favor (Norlinder for example).
Exactly , young cheap players that may still pan out in some role

If it’s accurate the owner wants playoffs now, that prospect doesn’t fit the mandate - hence the GM stating publicly he’s looking to move the pick for an established player(s)
I was talking about the Habs getting the top 2 picks and taking Wright and the Slovak instead of Cooley. I think Cooley will actually go at #3 because it makes no sense for Jersey to take another smallish center when that big, hulking winger is available.

Jersey isnt making the playoffs yet , just like your Flyers wont accept a rebuild

I was talking about the Habs getting the top 2 picks and taking Wright and the Slovak instead of Cooley. I think Cooley will actually go at #3 because it makes no sense for Jersey to take another smallish center when that big, hulking winger is available.
NJD don’t want a prospect, especially one who isn’t NHL ready (not talking Svechnikov here), they will deal the pick for an established player

There's a very good reason why the New Jersey's and Philly's of the hockey world are averse to full-on rebuilds: bums in seats and eyeballs in front of televisions. Unlike Montreal, where the audience is pretty much captive and where hockey is the #1, #2 and #3 most popular sport, the Habs brass can afford to be patient and build through the draft. But the Devils share a market with 2 other hockey teams, 2 baseball teams, 2 football teams and 2 basketball teams. They need to be relevant because if they aren't they won't sell tickets. Nobody is voluntarily going to Newark to watch a rebuild.

Same holds true in Philadelphia, where the Flyers have to compete with the Eagles, Phillies and Sixers while playing a sport that is less popular than football, baseball and basketball. A protracted rebuild is not an option for them either.

What the Habs need to do is take advantage of that impatience and poach some good young players away from teams like these.

There's a very good reason why the New Jersey's and Philly's of the hockey world are averse to full-on rebuilds: bums in seats and eyeballs in front of televisions. Unlike Montreal, where the audience is pretty much captive and where hockey is the #1, #2 and #3 most popular sport, the Habs brass can afford to be patient and build through the draft. But the Devils share a market with 2 other hockey teams, 2 baseball teams, 2 football teams and 2 basketball teams. They need to be relevant because if they aren't they won't sell tickets. Nobody is voluntarily going to Newark to watch a rebuild.

Same holds true in Philadelphia, where the Flyers have to compete with the Eagles, Phillies and Sixers while playing a sport that is less popular than football, baseball and basketball. A protracted rebuild is not an option for them either.

What the Habs need to do is take advantage of that impatience and poach some good young players away from teams like these.

Jersey has been rebuilding for 5 years and winning the lottery twice , and still going nowhere and have zero relevance

So now they add another top 3 pick because patching wasnt working and maybe drafted talent is the answer one day

Same with Philly , keep adding more Hayes and washed up Ellis types cause you know the owner needs to be relevant .

One day they will learn that Makar was a better option than Ellis and they can stay in the lottery as long as Jersey has

There is no quick fix for these franchises , its not the NFL with true free agency , plug and play starters and 50 ways to manipulate the cap.

Back