• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Since he seems legit . . . Bergy extended 3 years?

So how did let JB groomed internally to leave ?

We had no position at all in any capacity ?
Gainey was trying to get Brisebois a hockey Ops gig since he saw potential so he could grow, but found no takers around the league.

Stevie Y was the only one willing to relent because he was desperate for a capologist - and it was only after Gainey did a full court press on SY that he decided to hire JB in TBay as a contracts / capologist

That’s how it went down from both Gainey on Melnicks show last year and Brisebois himself in an interview

Last edited:
I don’t think criteria actually exists for the GM. The coach, yes.

Maybe maybe not but we haven't had English GMs or coaches since Grundman/Berry, with the exception of Gainey.

I think it's a major factor, even though there is always an exception that can be done for an exceptional candidate.

Maybe maybe not but we haven't had English GMs or coaches since Grundman/Berry, with the exception of Gainey.

I think it's a major factor, even though there is always an exception that can be done for an exceptional candidate.
Yeah, it was never said out loud about GM's like it was about coaches. It just kinda happened. Now it's simply assumed that the GM, like the coach, must be able to speak French and, preferably, BE French.

Yeah, it was never said out loud about GM's like it was about coaches. It just kinda happened. Now it's simply assumed that the GM, like the coach, must be able to speak French and, preferably, BE French.
Seems like the coach now has to be French, not just be able to speak it. Bob Berry spoke French and was still destroyed by the media. And he was a TMR guy, no less.

Seems like the coach now has to be French, not just be able to speak it. Bob Berry spoke French and was still destroyed by the media. And he was a TMR guy, no less.
I think they could still hire an anglo who is bilingual but he couldn't just be a random nobody. He would have to have NHL pedigree and a level of success elsewhere. A known commodity. But if it's a guy getting his first NHL head coaching gig? Gotta be un p'tit gars de chez nous. TMR may as well be London England for all anyone in the francophone media cares.

I think you're both living in the past. It's about communication, not ethnicity. If a bilingual Anglo was hired I don't think the French press (for the most part) would care.

I think you're both living in the past. It's about communication, not ethnicity. If a bilingual Anglo was hired I don't think the French press (for the most part) would care.
I bet they would care. Or at least, they would pretend to care, since I'm sure they would have a lot of fun writing stories to try to sell copies. And the first time the team goes into a slump, or the coach failed to answer a question in French? They'd probably desperately hope the team failed just so they could trash the coach.

Now, actual paying fans probably wouldn't give a damn, and if the new guy actually helped the team win, even less so.

Click bait is another thing. That's why I said most. I don't believe they all would do that.

I bet they would care. Or at least, they would pretend to care, since I'm sure they would have a lot of fun writing stories to try to sell copies. And the first time the team goes into a slump, or the coach failed to answer a question in French? They'd probably desperately hope the team failed just so they could trash the coach.

Now, actual paying fans probably wouldn't give a damn, and if the new guy actually helped the team win, even less so.
I agree 100%.

Same concept as what happens in every day life: the loud minority ends up having more influence than the silent majority. Applies to politics, wars....

I agree 100%.

Same concept as what happens in every day life: the loud minority ends up having more influence than the silent majority. Applies to politics, wars....
Yup. You don’t need to look any farther than Twitter. The relatively small group of woke based there seem to decide most things.

Last edited:
I think you're both living in the present. It should be about communication, not ethnicity, but it isn't. If a bilingual Anglo was hired I think the French press (for the most part) would lose their shit and would bring it up whenever the team lost a few games.
Fixed.

Yup. You don’t need to look any farther than Twitter. The relatively small group of woke based there seem to decide most things.
I am not a Twitter guy but I would be interested in knowing how one comes across such people...

I am not a Twitter guy but I would be interested in knowing how one comes across such people...
Not hard on Twitter. I use it for the sports news but man, weird shit can show up on your timeline. Often it’s the sports writer liking or retweeting something.

Back