• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Pre-Season/Training Camp Thread (2019/20)

3 takes from the Leafs lineup I have

1) It'll be interesting to see if Matthews can actually learn how to drive a line
2) Good first test for the leafs most likely top pairing unit
3) This is a golden chance for Hutchinson to steal the #2 spot.

heh. giving Sandin a nice handicap I see.

I also feel like the way Babs views Agostino is very different than the way everyone else does...

I guess Mickey and Petan get first cracks at the third line wing spots too.

3 takes from the Leafs lineup I have

1) It'll be interesting to see if Matthews can actually learn how to drive a line
2) Good first test for the leafs most likely top pairing unit
3) This is a golden chance for Hutchinson to steal the #2 spot.
glad to see you haven't changed much whilst you were away!

I'll let someone else deal with nugget one. Promises to be pretty entertaining.

Is he really switching him over to the right and pairing him with the Neanderthal? Please be untrue.

Petan's got no excuses this year, looks like.

Sandin on the right, if he actually is on the right, might actually be a sign that babs really wants to get him into the lineup. I'm cool with that.

Is he really switching him over to the right and pairing him with the Neanderthal? Please be untrue.

He sure is. The only silver lining I've got here is that I don't think Babcock was impressed by Schmaltz (I wasn't...he wasn't bad necessarily, and it was the first pre season game so sloppy as fuck, but he wasn't impressive imo) and he's giving Sandin the opportunity to compete directly with Lilly and Schmaltz for that 3RHD spot, and he's getting the opportunity next to a stay at home defender that Babcock probably likes and thinks is "safe". It might be, from Babcock's perspective, giving Sandin an opportunity to let it rip a little bit.

Sandin on the right, if he actually is on the right, might actually be a sign that babs really wants to get him into the lineup. I'm cool with that.
Yup. That could very easily be their third pair this year.

He sure is. The only silver lining I've got here is that I don't think Babcock was impressed by Schmaltz (I wasn't...he wasn't bad necessarily, and it was the first pre season game so sloppy as fuck, but he wasn't impressive imo) and he's giving Sandin the opportunity to compete directly with Lilly and Schmaltz for that 3RHD spot, and he's getting the opportunity next to a stay at home defender that Babcock probably likes and thinks is "safe". It might be, from Babcock's perspective, giving Sandin an opportunity to let it rip a little bit.

Feels like a stretch but silver linings usual are that. There's plenty of opening on the left with Dermott on the shelf.

Except we know Babs thinks it's hard for guys to defend on their offside.

Wait, but if Babs loves gudpros like Harpur isn't he setting him up to succeed?

From the sounds of it, its a wide open competition. Best two guys in camp will get the spots. Think the kids have a legit shot based on the competition level.

let's make predictions for our openening day D.

if I were guessing now, I'd say Harpur-Marincin get the last pair and one of Schmaltz or Holl gets the last spot.

Babs can say whatever he wants but I think it's pretty evident what traits he would prefer in that part of the lineup.

in babs' defense, he soured pretty hard on marincin after a while.

at this point marincin is more likely dubas' pet, not babs' pet.

didnt watch last night, but does this sound right?

2. Toronto’s breakout “feels” different

Amid the aforementioned sloppy play, one thing was clear about Toronto’s breakouts: The passes were much shorter. Rather than relying on their infamous stretch passes, the Leafs’ defencemen were looking to make short passes underneath to the closest forward. This resulted in a much more fluid breakout, which helped the team maintain puck possession throughout the majority of the game.

Back