• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

The ****ing Pre-Season/Training Camp Thread (2019/20)

Good to hear. I'm not expecting much from him at this point but if he can provide just a bit of secondary scoring that would be solid. Hopefully he's not a complete liability defensively/without the puck.

Another guy in interested in is Mikheyev or whatever his name is. Would be nice for us to get lucky with another free wallet. Hopefully better results than Zaitsev and Sosh. Crossing my fingers for a Panarin.

He's not a Panarin

Panarin was the classic late bloomer, but he was flat out dominant as a 23 yr old in the KHL

23 yr old (KHL)

Panarin: 1.15 ppg
Mikheyev: .70 ppg

Sosh came over younger (his last season in the KHL was as a 21 yr old) and put up .56ppg. Mikheyev fwiw put up a .34ppg as a 21 yr old and Panarin put up a .45.

If he's a top 9 forward who can drive play and has the hands and vision to create some chances and finish the ones he gets at a decent level, thank whatever god you believe in and keep it moving. Odds are, dude is another Zaitsev...which is fine, Zaitsev is probably a good #5-6 defender. This GM isn't about to overpay the shit out of Mikheyev to keep him in house either.

Given the record with KHL signings and Babs effusing about the guy, I've got really dim hopes for Mikheyev. Our Russian scouting has been ass, although I have some memory that they might have made changes recently.

Has our scouting been ass, or have the pickings been slim? We were in on Panarin too and he chose Chicago.

I think this is "throw enough shit" scouting. If they look toolsy and have a history of success in Russia, fuck it, sign them.

Thinking too of the Russian draft picks. There haven't been a lot but ... Kara, Korshkov, Chebykin, Dzierkals, Kizimov. Lot of later round picks but not much sign of sentient hockey life. Korshkov is the really damning one -- someone had to be pushing hard on that one.

Unrelated but can someone put Stephen Burtch's twitter account out of its misery. He's now lobbying hard for the awesome Fredrick Gauthier over Spezza.

Wait! Didn't I see zeke doing that just last night? Hmmm ... SB = zeke? I've seen stranger things in my day.

Thinking too of the Russian draft picks. There haven't been a lot but ... Kara, Korshkov, Chebykin, Dzierkals, Kizimov. Lot of later round picks but not much sign of sentient hockey life. Korshkov is the really damning one -- someone had to be pushing hard on that one.

Yeah, the amatuer Russian scouting has been brutal. It was one of the first things Dubas gutted when he got the keys.

Apparently, Ceci will be wearing an A tonight. Conflicted. On the one hand, that nicely downgrades Mucho getting one last night, but; on the other hand, it may signal a new Bab Toy.

Over/under on turnstiles for Ron?

Ron doesn't get turnstyled. He just gives up the controlled zone entry without bothering to challenge, and chases the puck around "keeping'em to the outside" slowly once the puck is controlled in his zone.

Back