• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

TML? More like FML, amirite? Yet Another Off Season Thread

tavarestwitter.jpg

well he'll have to still be PPG by then to get that kind of deal.

even then, given how much money we gave him, and how much he apparently wanted to be in toronto, he'll come in at a discount anyways, and we'll just give him the security of term.

Pavelski wasn't, Marleau wasn't even close. With the cap going up between now and then, 5.5 would be a discount if he's even a 60 point guy still.

Giordano? Spezza? It's like you haven't just seen examples of joke contracts guys have taken to be Leafs in their twilight years. Sure, they're older, but they're still waaaaaay more productive and provide far more value than their salaries.

You think Tavares wants to get up and go be a 1C on a shit club for big money when he can play on the same team as Matty, Marner, and McDavid? He might pay the Leafs to stay. And he's made so much over this deal and prior that I don't think he's going to be pining over a few bucks in his final couple of years.

Gio and Spezza signed their sweetheart deals with the Leafs after the big money boats had sailed. Spezza didn't come straight home...he made a quick stop to pick up 30 million dollars in Dallas first.

Yes, I think Tavares will want something resembling market value. Have to remember, he won't be forced into the 35+ category either. He is 34 yrs old on June 30, doesn't turn 35 until September. It will be his last chance at a multi year deal without the 35+ cap restriction on retirement. This is not a spezza/gio situation at all.

It is more than you want to admit. You’re just nitpicking and making assumptions that I think we know to be quite false. You think Spezza and Gio had to take league minimum deals and couldn’t get a few mill on the open market? Come now. If they wanted substantially more money, it was there.

Tavares won’t be looking to leave the team he ditched his drafted team for and also a team that offered him those extra dollars that one would think he’d jump at in his prime more than in his twilight years. He’s proven more than literally any other Leaf in our lifetimes that he’d sacrifice to be on this team. You can bet he’s not going to want to uproot after 7 years back home just to go chase an extra $2m in fucking Detroit or something.

Not remotely the same. Gio is 39, Spezza was 37. Tavares is going to want something resembling market value and multiple years. If he gives a AAV break it will be at the cost of additional years. Will be his last career payday.

You do this every year with every player you like. You never learn

Not remotely the same. Gio is 39, Spezza was 37. Tavares is going to want something resembling market value and multiple years. If he gives a AAV break it will be at the cost of additional years. Will be his last career payday.

And yet if you ask him he is also always right in his predictions!

You can’t overstate how generous fans are with other people’s money.
I'm stunned in 2022 the superstars are still making the same as 20 years ago (Yes I know about the "Cap", but look at the revenue difference). And all fans talk about is cap hits and get mad if the best players don't take a discount. McDavid taking 12.5 for PR purposes was fucking stupid. People want these old asshole owners making all the coin because they don't know who they are.

I'm stunned in 2022 the superstars are still making the same as 20 years ago (Yes I know about the "Cap", but look at the revenue difference). And all fans talk about is cap hits and get mad if the best players don't take a discount. McDavid taking 12.5 for PR purposes was fucking stupid. People want these old asshole owners making all the coin because they don't know who they are.

This isnt the NFL Jack

Obviously you sign JT for 1 year to not take up McDavid space. Not like the guy won’t buy into the get McDavid plan. Have you seen his sheets?

I haven’t predicted anything in the Hyman and Mikky situations. I thought they’d be the types to take less and stay, but they chased the money on their first opportunity. These were guys in their prime coming off deals paying them $2m ish, and now they have some dumb team that wants to pay them many millions more over long terms.

Like you said, not even remotely the same. Tavares has been making bank since he was 21, and will have made $77m just while with us. At 34/35, he’s comparable to guys like Gio and Spezza who made their money and then just wanted to be in TO and play for the Leafs. They both left substantial dollars on the table even now where for sure they could’ve each landed $2m or $3m for one year from someone. They’re still performing at relatively high levels. If Gio could play on our second pair, he couldn’t play on some bad team’s first pair?? Of course he could and he’d get a nice one year deal for at least $3m.

Tavares has already proven he wants to be a Leaf and it was worth leaving an extra $33m from SJ on the table. Now you think he’s going to hesitate to sign for a few mill less to close out his career with a potential mini dynasty?

I'd love to be able to dump JT now, never mind worrying about how much to pay him on his next contract. Also why is McD even a discussion, he has 4 yrs left on his deal, seems like a weird thing for Elliot to throw out there.

Last edited:
I haven’t predicted anything in the Hyman and Mikky situations. I thought they’d be the types to take less and stay, but they chased the money on their first opportunity. These were guys in their prime coming off deals paying them $2m ish, and now they have some dumb team that wants to pay them many millions more over long terms.

Like you said, not even remotely the same. Tavares has been making bank since he was 21, and will have made $77m just while with us. At 34/35, he’s comparable to guys like Gio and Spezza who made their money and then just wanted to be in TO and play for the Leafs. They both left substantial dollars on the table even now where for sure they could’ve each landed $2m or $3m for one year from someone. They’re still performing at relatively high levels. If Gio could play on our second pair, he couldn’t play on some bad team’s first pair?? Of course he could and he’d get a nice one year deal for at least $3m.

Tavares has already proven he wants to be a Leaf and it was worth leaving an extra $33m from SJ on the table. Now you think he’s going to hesitate to sign for a few mill less to close out his career with a potential mini dynasty?
you spent many, many posts talking about how you expected us to resign Hyman at a discount. pretending otherwise is revisionist history.

McDavid will sign with the Leafs for 7x6M in 2026

He will already have made $115M in salary by then, not too mention all that sweet CIBC endorsement moolah.

How much money does a guy need?

Playing out his childhood dream is priceless

He will already have made $115M in salary by then, not too mention all that sweet CIBC endorsement moolah.

He will need every cent of that to get a 2 bedroom condo downtown Toronto.

Word is that Marner will actually insist on paying the Leafs in his next deal. Net negative on the cap. It’s his hometown and he wants to win.

Back