• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Toffoli traded to the Flames

7. Emil Heineman, LW/RW, 20 (Leksands IF)

After surviving every top 19-year-old Swede’s transitional year to the SHL last season, Heineman’s shot generation and production have both improved this year despite his minutes (12 a night) staying the same. I honestly think he’s ready for a little more opportunity than Leksands have given him. I also think he’s often a little miscast as a hardworking, hard-shooting, shot-first guy who has a pro frame. He is all of those things and he’s got a pitchfork skating stride that still needs some work (he’s actually a good skater on his edges for my money) but beyond the hustle and the multi-dimensional shot (the hard wrister, the catch-and-release, and the one-touch power), he’s also got sneaky playmaking flair (which I’m confident will show up in the assist column when he gets more talented linemates) and good interior skill. He’s got some things to work on but I won’t be surprised if he works his way from bottom-six SHL scorer, to top-six SHL scorer, to top-six AHL scorer, to NHL option by the time he’s 22-23.

How many first do you reckon we'll have at the draft?

Even after sending one to the Yotes, I'm thinking we've got 4 in hand.

Back