• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Toffoli traded to the Flames

FWIW, we were "apparently" offered the choice between the first round pick OR Jakob Pelletier.
Find that hard to believe the Flames TSN reporter (Salim Valji) just said Coronado & Pelletier are the only two untouchables in the org.

Apparently there was a bigger deal in the works, assumed to be Chiarot but couldn’t make cap hit work

Last edited:
I would keep Dvorak , Anderson, RP, Nick, Evans , Romy, CC , Pezzetta ( need some bite on the bottom 6 )

Flush out the rest

I want to tank hard the next 3 years. Like top 3 picks and accumulate as many picks/prospects as possible. I have a feeling by year 4, they will be looking to add and start going for it in year 5. So, fk being middle of the pack the next 3 years, we need those high end prospects because let's face it, by year 4, we will not be tanking anymore, at least not by choice.

I want to tank hard the next 3 years. Like top 3 picks and accumulate as many picks/prospects as possible. I have a feeling by year 4, they will be looking to add and start going for it in year 5. So, fk being middle of the pack the next 3 years, we need those high end prospects because let's face it, by year 4, we will not be tanking anymore, at least not by choice.

It will be the only option for 2-3 years , its forced up us

We dont have that base of 24-27 year old quality players to buy time

All depends on our prospect maturation , this is year one of the rebuild that should of started in 2016

Gorton’s historical track record in drafting & development is a mirror image of Habs over last 30-years. 4-letter word starting w “S” ending w “T”

is it?

what if they finish bottom 10 back to back years?
they dont give up a first at all?
Only protected this year. If it's a top-10 pick, it gets moved to next year and we get it regardless of where it ends up, and on top of that, if the pick is moved to next year, we get an extra fourth round pick.

The key from the trade is the first round pick. We'll see what that turns into.

As for Emil Heineman, don't know him well enough to comment. What I will say, however, is that valuable prospects don't get traded, let alone traded twice, before they reach the age of getting to the minors. I would be very hesitant to put any kind of expectations on him. If he makes the NHL and makes a career, it's all bonus.

Gorton’s historical track record in drafting & development is a mirror image of Habs over last 30-years. 4-letter word starting w “S” ending w “T”

Whatever it may be, we can outspend some of the crappy teams. ARI cap hit this year 74m, Habs 93m. So, in 3-5 years we won't be staying at the bottom. Price's contract will also be done in 4 years from now which frees up room for another free agent. We just have to pray the drafting/development/trades and a bit of luck go differently this time!

Whatever it may be, we can outspend some of the crappy teams. ARI cap hit this year 74m, Habs 93m. So, in 3-5 years we won't be staying at the bottom. Price's contract will also be done in 4 years from now which frees up room for another free agent. We just have to pray the drafting / development / trades and a bit of luck go differently this time!
Ahhh the HOPE factor

1644883926671.gif

The key from the trade is the first round pick. We'll see what that turns into.

As for Emil Heineman, don't know him well enough to comment. What I will say, however, is that valuable prospects don't get traded, let alone traded twice, before they reach the age of getting to the minors. I would be very hesitant to put any kind of expectations on him. If he makes the NHL and makes a career, it's all bonus.
If they weren't valuable they wouldn't get traded. Suzuki got traded. As Gainey said, got to give something to get something.

This will go like this:

Easiest to trade for value: Toffoli, Lehkonen, Chiarot, Kulak, Wideman ** Allen and Dvorak can also be easy to trade but they probably stay
Harder to trade with lowered value: Drouin, Petry
Hardest to trade without getting bad contracts back: Gallagher, Savard, Hoffman
Impossible to trade: Price, Weber for obvious reasons

Find that hard to believe the Flames TSN reporter (Salim Valji) just said Coronado & Pelletier are the only two untouchables in the org.

Apparently there was a bigger deal in the works, assumed to be Chiarot but couldn’t make cap hit work
Pelletier is stepping in next year on their top 9

This will go like this:

Easiest to trade for value: Toffoli, Lehkonen, Chiarot, Kulak, Wideman ** Allen and Dvorak can also be easy to trade but they probably stay
Harder to trade with lowered value: Drouin, Petry
Hardest to trade without getting bad contracts back: Gallagher, Savard, Hoffman
Impossible to trade: Price, Weber for obvious reasons

If at any point Weber and Price are permanent LTIR , those are 2 gold contracts to dangle for a solid return

Gives a team a large free salary slot to use for year

If at any point Weber and Price are permanent LTIR , those are 2 gold contracts to dangle for a solid return

Gives a team a large free salary slot to use for year

Can you explain that? What do you mean they have a large salary slot? Their salary wouldn't count against the cap and insurance I assume is paying while they are on the ltir so how does it benefit another team? Does it count for the cap floor you mean?

I’d say Petry had the most value of the lot. RHS, mobile and decent offensive skills.

He needs to be in a better place, 2nd line with a reliable partner. Edmundon’s absence really hurt him.

Can you explain that? What do you mean they have a large salary slot? Their salary wouldn't count against the cap and insurance I assume is paying while they are on the ltir so how does it benefit another team? Does it count for the cap floor you mean?

The so called TBAY cap gymnastics theory

A floor team like Ottawa can use that LTIR money to get to the floor without that player on the ice

A cap spending team can use that extra salary to go over the cap like TB did with Kuch and others on LTIR , and then load up for the playoffs

A free 7-10 mil to use for years , thats gold for higher spending teams

Thats worth a nice haul in return with a flat cap for a few more years

Back