• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Toffoli traded to the Flames

A lot of this trade depends Heineman but for now it seems like the return is kina meh for one of our best asset.
Just because Toffoli is one of the Habs' best assets doesn't mean he's all that good. He isn't a first line player on a good team. The return they got for him wasn't amazing but it was thoroughly realistic. We have to remind ourselves that this team is mostly garbage and that makes the few good players they have look better than they really are.

A lot of this trade depends Heineman but for now it seems like the return is kina meh for one of our best asset.

Fair trade for both

No salary retention , plus Calgary is taking on 2 years salary

This is a clear rebuilding type trade , no slug came back our way with term

Doubt we get more if team waited longer

Once you establish your trade value return , you pounce on a deal

B+ on regimes first meaningful deal

That was my take as well, but what’s also being overlooked in the big picture - the $ freed up w Toffoli deal, will now allow Hughes / Gorton to create an even bigger bidding war for Chiarot’s services by taking on AAV for many capped out teams. Chiarot trade has to be a grand slam..

Analysis on Toffoli deal:

Fair trade for both

Sure there was indirectly.. Pitlick nearly $2M

That was my take as well, but what’s also being overlooked in the big picture - the $ freed up w Toffoli deal, will now allow Hughes / Gorton to create an even bigger bidding war for Chiarot’s services by taking on AAV for many capped out teams. Chiarot trade has to be a grand slam..

Analysis on Toffoli deal:

Grand slam , highly doubt

It's pretty good. It's one of our best asset but still it's just Toffoli.

He is not part of the future along with 2/3 of this team

We turned a UFA signing into 1.5 solid seasons of play and a good trade ......you do that 7 days a week

Fair trade for both

We traded a top 6 winger, proven goal scorer, that can play in all situations, signed for another 2 years to a cap friendly salary. There was no reasons for us to retain salary so I don't see that as a plus. I expected a first and a solid prospect. I was expecting a prospect with either a bit more upside or more NHL readiness. If Heineman turns out to be a good roster player then it's a good trade but if he doesn't pan out and all we have is a first out of it, then it's a bit disappointing.

We traded a top 6 winger, proven goal scorer, that can play in all situations, signed for another 2 years to a cap friendly salary. There was no reasons for us to retain salary so I don't see that as a plus. I expected a first and a solid prospect. I was expecting a prospect with either a bit more upside or more NHL readiness. If Heineman turns out to be a good roster player then it's a good trade but if he doesn't pan out and all we have is a first out of it, then it's a bit disappointing.
That kind of depends on who they draft with the pick. The prospect everyone wanted, Pelletier, was drafted 26th overall. if Calgary can find quality late in the first round, we should be able to as well.

I dont see us getting anymore in a trade

No team was giving us an A level plug /play prospect

That kind of depends on who they draft with the pick. The prospect everyone wanted, Pelletier, was drafted 26th overall. if Calgary can find quality late in the first round, we should be able to as well.
I agree, I think the best thing about the trade is that the pick should be around the high 10s/low 20s.

Yeah, odds are that none of the players involved will ever have a career as good as Toffoli, or in fact be as good as he is now. That's how these trades generally go, when you trade for futures. He has an eye for the net, something we were lacking for an eternity. That said, I was never a fan after he disappeared as the playoffs went on, whether it was injury or not. By the later rounds, he was useless,might as well have dressed someone else. And for all his scoring ability, he certainly wasn't helping any now.

He also seemed a little too delighted at leaving town, but maybe I can't blame him for that.

I dont see us getting anymore in a trade

No team was giving us an A level plug /play prospect
I wasn't expecting a A prospect but maybe a B+? We're getting a guy that's 3 years away from if everything goes well be a bottom 6 player, a less talented, less physical Lehkonen. Surely there is a something between that and a A prospect.

Back