• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Toffoli traded to the Flames

That's completely irrelevant. He was a Hab, whatever the reason.
And he'll be in a nursing home shitting into a diaper by the time this team is a contender again. We have no use for him other than to trade him for whatever we can get. A first rounder is a good return. A realistic return.

I wasn't expecting a A prospect but maybe a B+? We're getting a guy that's 3 years away from if everything goes well be a bottom 6 player, a less talented, less physical Lehkonen. Surely there is a something between that and a A prospect.

He is a B ish prospect

Is he any different than Ferrell , Mysak , etc...

We dont get a first with a better prospect coming our way

Its all gravy , TT would of never been a Hab in a normal world

sure...but if you win the lottery, it doesn't mean you can squander it all willy nilly

that said, I thing the return was fair

I would have liked Toffs be the last guy we traded - maybe a bidding war would have extracted more value -- but I ain't losing any sleep

He is a B ish prospect

Is he any different than Ferrell , Mysak , etc...

We dont get a first with a better prospect coming our way

I'd probably rank him below those guys as Ferrell, Mysak seems to have more upside. I'm not sure Heineman even cracks our top 10 prospects.

If they weren't valuable they wouldn't get traded. Suzuki got traded. As Gainey said, got to give something to get something.
Suzuki is one of the rare exceptions.

How many top prospects truly get traded? There's one every two or so years and they happen almost exclusively from one team. You have the Stone-Brannstrom deal, the MaxPac-Suzuki deal, Eichel-Krebs deal... Las Vegas ain't messing around.

Every time these type of deals are done, what are usually sent back are first round picks, second round picks, B prospects. Blue chip prospects are the most valuable, yet most overrated assets in hockey. That's why they never get moved.

I'd probably rank him below those guys as Ferrell, Mysak seems to have more upside. I'm not sure Heineman even cracks our top 10 prospects.

Those 2 are top 6 or dont make it at all , and are not more advanced to reaching the pros

Emil is playing with men in a good league , I have hope

The key from the trade is the first round pick. We'll see what that turns into.

As for Emil Heineman, don't know him well enough to comment. What I will say, however, is that valuable prospects don't get traded, let alone traded twice, before they reach the age of getting to the minors. I would be very hesitant to put any kind of expectations on him. If he makes the NHL and makes a career, it's all bonus.
i do not think that is true

that said i doubt this is another suzuki, forsberg, mcdonaugh, etc

Only protected this year. If it's a top-10 pick, it gets moved to next year and we get it regardless of where it ends up, and on top of that, if the pick is moved to next year, we get an extra fourth round pick.
that is what i thought

sure...but if you win the lottery, it doesn't mean you can squander it all willy nilly

that said, I thing the return was fair

I would have liked Toffs be the last guy we traded - maybe a bidding war would have extracted more value -- but I ain't losing any sleep
it sure as heck does

Last edited:
We traded a top 6 winger, proven goal scorer, that can play in all situations, signed for another 2 years to a cap friendly salary. There was no reasons for us to retain salary so I don't see that as a plus. I expected a first and a solid prospect. I was expecting a prospect with either a bit more upside or more NHL readiness. If Heineman turns out to be a good roster player then it's a good trade but if he doesn't pan out and all we have is a first out of it, then it's a bit disappointing.
Although he has some intangibles , I saw many times he couldn't keep up with the play because of below average skating. If he was a better skater he would not have been traded.. Team wants to play fast going forward.

Although he has some intangibles , I saw many times he couldn't keep up with the play because of below average skating. If he was a better skater he would not have been traded.. Team wants to play fast going forward.
He got moved because he isnt part of the future and a good deal was given

The other heavy lifting trades require more cap gymnastics and creativity to make a deal

He was one of the few players with term that had demand right now

He never was fast, but he plays smart.

i do not think that is true

that said i doubt this is another suzuki, forsberg, mcdonaugh, etc
They very rarely get traded. It happens, quite literally, once every 2 or so years and there's one franchise that's done it often in Las Vegas. Everyone else is hyper-conservative when it comes to trading prospects. It's a pretty interesting contrast when you compare NHL to MLB, where top prospects are regularly traded for immediate help. I also understand the realities of the salary cap in both sports are very different, but still.

If you're trading with the Leafs you have to make them pay through the nose just because. Ideally you don't trade with them at all. Boston too, if you can help it.
Huh?

Of course you want the most return possible... but beyond that, you definitely want to stick either Toronto or Boston with Chiarot.

They very rarely get traded. It happens, quite literally, once every 2 or so years and there's one franchise that's done it often in Las Vegas. Everyone else is hyper-conservative when it comes to trading prospects. It's a pretty interesting contrast when you compare NHL to MLB, where top prospects are regularly traded for immediate help. I also understand the realities of the salary cap in both sports are very different, but still.

Baseball prospects are hit/miss and many are busts

Teams load up to use as trading chips , plus you can find good talent later in the draft but development takes time

Back