• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

Trade Deadline Thread

Apparently it IS Hakanpaa ... maybe less because he's a Finn and more because he's a big boy who plays the right side on D. And I don't see how this protects Bean, really. Fleury was almost certainly going to be exposed either way. They clearly made a choice between the two for this post season though. And I won't complain. Fleury had hit another development ceiling and frankly I'm a bit sick of those.

And to follow up here ... looks likely that the Canes decided to roll with Gardiner and Bean as the third paring. Hakanpaa might be big, but that doesn't mean he's good ... because he isn't.

So why make this move if he’s not good. The 6th rounder is not significant. Unless they think he’s good. Or unless they decided Bean over Fleury and that they’d lose Fleury for nothing and that they can protect Bean.

No Mantha for the Wings tonight, Stevie Y traded him to the Caps for a huge haul...Vrana, Panik a 2021 1st and a 2022 2nd round pick

So why make this move if he’s not good. The 6th rounder is not significant. Unless they think he’s good. Or unless they decided Bean over Fleury and that they’d lose Fleury for nothing and that they can protect Bean.
I think you answered your own question there C3. And if this guy is good, he's been hiding it for a while. He's 29 and has never played an NHL game before this season. His best years were as a half a point a game guy in Liiga. He's depth, nothing more.

No Mantha for the Wings tonight, Stevie Y traded him to the Caps for a huge haul...Vrana, Panik a 2021 1st and a 2022 2nd round pick
That's a pretty good haul for a guy like Mantha in this market. Nice work, Stevie.

I think you answered your own question there C3. And if this guy is good, he's been hiding it for a while. He's 29 and has never played an NHL game before this season. His best years were as a half a point a game guy in Liiga. He's depth, nothing more.
We were probably going to lose Bean or Fleury in the expansion draft. Now we can protect Bean and we added a guy who, while he has to be exposed, is no risk to be taken. So we got something for a guy we were going to lose for nothing.

Back