• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

GDT #46: Jan 12, 2020, 7:00 - Sweeps Week

Team misses Muzzin imo. I knew as soon as he went down, we would hit some rough patches.

Hey, its a miserably long season. Just an insane number of games.

Florida is a pretty good club too. They aren't pushovers.

Unless Muzzin can play net, I don't think that's it chief.

Over the last month:

All strengths
xGA: 2.65
GA: 3.22
SV% .900%

The coach and players keep backing up and praising Freddy. Maybe they don’t feel they have a choice publicly.

Last edited:
I’m not saying I agree with them, but the coach and players keep backing up and praising Freddy. Maybe they don’t feel they have a choice publicly.

NHLers, well, 99% of them are totally paranoid of speaking their minds. You have to get them pretty liquored up, to get anything out of them And even then, they only go into who was the toughest, best slapshop etc...

But I have seen some wild shit when hanging out with them, and I mean wild shit. But I don't talk about it either.

Both goalies were junk tonight, but shit, our D is not exactly airtight. Muzzin or no Muzzin. Dubas has to make at least one move back there. Losing Barrie and Ceci honestly wouldn’t even be felt, imo. And Marincin still stinks. No choice but to acquire a D and also work in one of Sandin or Lilly.

Both goalies were junk tonight, but shit, our D is not exactly airtight.

It's been above average in pretty much every metric in existence since Keefe took over. Shit, look at tonight. The Leafs out chanced the Panthers 36-18 and in high danger chances were 21-10. 10 high danger chances in a game is not a lot (Leafs are 9th since Keefe with 10.36/60. The "air tight" Bruins are 8th with 10.35...the Blues are 12th with 10.83. A lot easier to look good defensive when you're getting a .917 and .920 sv% respectively over that same period though eh?)

Goalies make saves. We watched a guy who has split most of the last 3 seasons between the AHL and fucking ECHL make saves tonight. Lots of fucking saves.

There's like 3 teams in the league that are "air tight" defensively. The Leafs are 9th in the league (since Keefe) at giving up high danger chances. Air tight? No. Above average? Yeah.

Losing Barrie and Ceci honestly wouldn’t even be felt, imo.

losing Barrie would be felt a lot. The puck magically finds it's way to the other end of the ice almost 60% of the time when he's out there. Hard to look good when your goalies puts up a .895 while you're on the ice. Ceci can definitely fuck off though.

I’ve already put it out of my mind, but how many odd man rushes, breakaways, penalty shots, and screened shots tonight. Nice to get saves, and we will when Freddy rebounds, but I’m not impressed with us defensively. Barrie is not good.

Well when you're down so many goals early, you're gonna give up a bunch of odd man rushes trying to catch up.

Much like the cock, I was done with Fred after the debacle in the boston series last year. Dubas gets a pass on the firing because he was clearly overruled, but on the goaltending he's shit the bed. It's not like Fred having long stretches of shitty play is new.

Reading people go on about the defense after a game like that is more annoying than watching it. The Athletic, of course, has two postgame articles going on about just about everything but the goaltending.

Meh, it’s tough to say Dubas shit the bed when it seems the only real problem Freddy has had is in beating Boston in game 7s. Aside from that, he’s done everything we can reasonably expect of him. And not to rehash, but if the big boys came up big in game 6, there’d have been no game 7.

Probably the same as most other goalies, if not all, including some that had throwaway nonplayoff seasons mixed in. And likely none of them did it in front of a bunch of 20 year olds learning the ropes, with a coach who liked playing his worst players a lot. And we know no one has faced the sheer volume of rubber Freddy has had to handle.

He is an inconsistent league average starter

Once the year ends he will hover around his usual 918sv% but at the end of the day you need a goalie or a tandem who can provide consistent play.

Nothing wrong with a small blip but month long stretches of subpar goaltending won’t cut it

I don’t know what the answer is but it has to be an off season priority.

Do you look at Lehner as a pure rental for a run? Would it be any different than making a big deadline deal for a player?

Chicago would be dumb to not enterain the idea of dealing him for assets and resigning him in the off season

Freddy isn't the problem. An over reliance on one goalie is. They live and die with Freddy's streaks because they don't have any other option. And its been the case for 2 years now.

Dubas needs to get a second goalie. Its their biggest hole at this point, and has obviously been all year.

.912sv%

-.056dsv% (corsica) #24 of 32 goalies with 1250+ min

-.053dfsv% (evolving) #20 of 32 goalies with 875+ fa

He has simply been a below average goalie this year.

Back