• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

OT: World Politics

I'm not sure the numbers/official statements on the virus really match up with the Chinese government's reaction. Massive multiple hospitals being built in less than 2 weeks, 40 million+ quarantined, other countries evacuating their citizens.

This isn't how you react to "not much more dangerous than your standard flu".
They need to react in such a way or else the global community will lock them out.

That happens, Chinese GDP goes in a free fall.

A communist dictatorship which has been able to ward off any serious discontent with promises of rising living standards and economic growth cannot afford the economy to falter, which means showing the world they are making every effort to contain this, even if it isn't much more deadly than the common flu.

Yeah, closing down factories for weeks is a proven GDP booster

Yeah, closing down factories for weeks is a proven GDP booster
Better than a entire factory gets sick, the west continues to freak out and china is locked out of the global economy for the next year.

China is going for short term pain for long term gain.

It's still the elderly that are the most at risk then the kids but dang, they need to get a handle on this. I read somewhere a vaccine is close.

Coronavirus creates hockey stick shortage
https://www.axios.com/newsletters/a...64.html?chunk=1&utm_term=twsocialshare#story1

The state of play: New Hampshire-based Bauer and Montreal-based CCM supply roughly 75% of NHL players with sticks, which are highly customizable and made in small batches in China. With the country at a standstill, the NHL has been unable to get fresh stock.

The only major stick-maker not affected is Warrior, which manufactures its sticks in Mexico and counts 22% of NHL players as clients.

It's still the elderly that are the most at risk then the kids but dang, they need to get a handle on this. I read somewhere a vaccine is close.

really?

i do not believe there is even a vaccine for SARS yet

remember some asshole was trying to play #toldyouso internet games with this shit for some weird reason?

Sounds like they’re still figuring out how to accurately test for the virus, which is pretty normal given how recent it is.

Back