• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-20 Miscellaneous NHL/Hockey News Thread

Congrats to the Bay Lightning. May history rhyme and we see a new Cup championship here in North Carolina within the next season or two.

OK ... in my humble opinion, the Lightning winning is good for hockey. Yes, they play a stout defensive game, but their identity is wrapped up in playing offensive hockey and ... you know ... scoring goals. Dallas is a traditional unit, built to limit damage first and then to see if maybe they can't scrounge enough offense to score a couple of goals. After all this time, I'm well and truly sick of that model. Yeah, it's easier and cheaper to operate that way, and the loser point thing rewards you for just being good enough to hang around in a lot of close games. But whatever ... I'm here to see goals, not white knuckle death matches. I'm here to see teams trying to win the game, not ones trying not to lose it. The fact that this league makes it so bloody hard for those teams that actually want to score to succeed is patently ridiculous, but expecting anything else from this dumb league is probably futile. So, good on Tampa. Maybe the brain dead tribe that runs the front offices in the NHL will actually start to copy something useful for once instead of obsessing over "playing heavy" and signing fossils who are past their sell by date so they can park their butts in front of the net (because they're too slow to do anything else), and all that other garbage that only leads to borderline unwatchable hockey.

Here's to 4 full lines of forwards who can skate and make plays and 3 full pairings of defensemen who can pass and shoot.

+1. This series was more like midseason hockey, not playoff hockey.

Is it me, or did Bettman seem even more nervous and uncomfortable without the home crowd booing him?

Ya, he lately even leans into that so much with full snark; I absolutely was waiting for him during the award presentation 'speech' to remark about not getting booed.

+1. This series was more like midseason hockey, not playoff hockey.
And even then the league almost farked it up with their usual craptastic, fun-house mirror post season officiating that overly rewards those willing to obstruct skilled players with brute force. When you "let the players play" and throw out the rule book for the "unwritten" version, it ALWAYS rewards the mouth breathers.

And even then the league almost farked it up with their usual craptastic, fun-house mirror post season officiating that overly rewards those willing to obstruct skilled players with brute force. When you "let the players play" and throw out the rule book for the "unwritten" version, it ALWAYS rewards the mouth breathers.

And obstructing the skilled players is hardly letting the players play, is it?

And obstructing the skilled players is hardly letting the players play, is it?
Ironic, yes? The league allows its officials to take themselves out of play in its most high profile games, which leads directly to more boring games featuring negative play ... heck, they almost highlight the negative play. The league fetishizes the "suffering" of the playoffs ... when a LOT of that suffering can be directly tied to the refs failing to call the rulebook because they "don't want to get in the way." The league that brags loudly about how brave its players are, turns out to be a bunch of cowards who don't have the stones to enforce their own rules.

It's a farce. Imagine any other sport just casually burning their rulebook in their Championships and calling it toughness.

Back