• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Haven’t gotten around to, eh? That seems like a convenient excuse for we’re gonna expose you to some revenue-producing garbage while we can get away with it.
I would absolutely pay for a subscription model to avoid all the darn random crap that pops up.

Haven’t gotten around to, eh? That seems like a convenient excuse for we’re gonna expose you to some revenue-producing garbage while we can get away with it.
I get your cynicism given Meta's track record, but I don't think that's the case. Their model is to build as big of a user base as possible and then figure out how to monetize it.

Until they allow you to limit what you see to only what you follow, you can use the mute function, which is pretty easy to do.

I get your cynicism given Meta's track record, but I don't think that's the case. Their model is to build as big of a user base as possible and then figure out how to monetize it.

Until they allow you to limit what you see to only what you follow, you can use the mute function, which is pretty easy to do.
If it’s free you are the product they’re selling.

I haven't seen a single sponsored post yet, but those are probably coming as well ... because somebody has to pay for the platform. Like all social apps, it's fully voluntary. So ... opt out.

I haven't seen a single sponsored post yet, but those are probably coming as well ... because somebody has to pay for the platform. Like all social apps, it's fully voluntary. So ... opt out.
But if you opt out, you can’t delete it without deleting your Instagram account.

But if you opt out, you can’t delete it without deleting your Instagram account.
There's about ten apps on virtually everyone's phones that they never open. Opting out just puts this app in the pile with all the others. Or, never opting in is also opting out. I don't see the big deal here. It's just a social media app, brought to you by the same people who already bring you two other social media apps.

Last edited:
Correct. Like every other social app ... and this site sells ads as well.
This app is not manipulative like the other apps which tend to be predatory. It doesn’t feed me selected posts, it shows me all the posts in the threads I look at. I look here because I value the input from this group and it tends not to be an echo chamber. This site doesn’t do evil things to keep my attention-they leave that to you guys.

I stay off the other social media apps because I think they’re one of the primary causes of the problems we’re having as a country with division etc. Their intent (and they succeed in it) is to addict you to their site by selectively feeding you content etc.

The New York Times announced that they’re disbanding their sports department and rely on The Athletic in print and online. There are no layoffs planned.

The New York Times announced that they’re disbanding their sports department and rely on The Athletic in print and online. There are no layoffs planned.
There are no layoffs planned because they already did them. They could have saved themselves a lot of premature comments/arguments/general angst if they had simply announced this obvious move when they announced that last round of layoffs.

There are no layoffs planned because they already did them. They could have saved themselves a lot of premature comments/arguments/general angst if they had simply announced this obvious move when they announced that last round of layoffs.
Former Times sportswriter Lynn Zinser wrote an obituary. The link may ask for a login but it can be bypassed.

Anchor Brewing is shutting down. A thoroughly unique brand in the vast craft brew ocean and one of my all time favorite breweries.
Yeah, that sucks. I’m semi-surprised that AB InBev hasn’t swooped in to add it to their stable of craft beers. But maybe now they can buy the receipt on the cheap.

Yeah, that sucks. I’m semi-surprised that AB InBev hasn’t swooped in to add it to their stable of craft beers. But maybe now they can buy the receipt on the cheap.
They were owned by Sapporro so capitalization wasn't the problem. They've apparently been losing big money for years and pandemic set fire to their chances of recovery. If they were still indy they'd probably have folded sooner.

They were owned by Sapporro so capitalization wasn't the problem. They've apparently been losing big money for years and pandemic set fire to their chances of recovery. If they were still indy they'd probably have folded sooner.
They have a very unique, and probably not very cost effective method of brewing so the economics may just not work anymore.

They have a very unique, and probably not very cost effective method of brewing so the economics may just not work anymore.
Well, they did for that one beer. Most of their line was more conventional aside from Anchor Steam and their Christmas beer.

Back