• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

MLB owners unanimously approved the relocation of the Oakland A’s to Las Vegas. It’s not a dine deal yet, a Nevada teachers union is challenging the $380 million state commitment toward the expected $1.5 billion construction cost. But if/when it does happen, it will be the A’s 3rd relocation since leaving Philadelphia in 1954. And it will leave Oakland without major league sports.

Look ... I'm not a fan of how that market has been treated by their sports franchises, but Oakland has issues as a market that are kind of unavoidable. Never a particularly big city, they are in the midst of a marked population decline that started in the early 00s and was masked for a while due to inflow from people fleeing high property costs across the bay. As a long term proposition, yeah ... Vegas certainly looks more attractive. It's already 200K in population bigger and the long term trend is up, not down. With the stigma of gambling no longer being an issue for whatever reason, Vegas is a no-brainer as a pro franchise location.

Look ... I'm not a fan of how that market has been treated by their sports franchises, but Oakland has issues as a market that are kind of unavoidable. Never a particularly big city, they are in the midst of a marked population decline that started in the early 00s and was masked for a while due to inflow from people fleeing high property costs across the bay. As a long term proposition, yeah ... Vegas certainly looks more attractive. It's already 200K in population bigger and the long term trend is up, not down. With the stigma of gambling no longer being an issue for whatever reason, Vegas is a no-brainer as a pro franchise location.
And the stadium authority or whatever it is, didn’t help. They reconfigured the stadium to bring the Raiders back, but it made entire swaths of seats unsuitable for baseball. Between them and the city itself, they’ve done everything in their power to drive the A’s out.

Norte Dame and NBC extended their media rights contract through 2029. So they’re not joining the ACC for football.

Norte Dame and NBC extended their media rights contract through 2029. So they’re not joining the ACC for football.
Although I’ve never been a fan of the Irish I kinda get their process right now. Who the heck knows what the ACC will look like by then and if they’ve got NBC to fill their pockets, the bird in the hand looks pretty good I guess.

Although I’ve never been a fan of the Irish I kinda get their process right now. Who the heck knows what the ACC will look like by then and if they’ve got NBC to fill their pockets, the bird in the hand looks pretty good I guess.
I mean, they've already screwed over the ACC so whatever they do now is ... whatever. The ACC should expel them, if they could get the votes, since they're even more of a drain on resources in a bigger conference. Without the carrot of potential full membership, there's nothing left but stick. And there's enough of that going around as it is.

I mean, they've already screwed over the ACC so whatever they do now is ... whatever. The ACC should expel them, if they could get the votes, since they're even more of a drain on resources in a bigger conference. Without the carrot of potential full membership, there's nothing left but stick. And there's enough of that going around as it is.
Would not bother me, at all.

The Carolina Panthers conducted a mercy killing and put Frank Reich out of his misery. All those years as a Steelers minority owner and Tepper didn’t learn a thing about continuity. The Steelers have had 3 head coaches since 1969. Whoever Tepper hires will be his 3rd since 2020.

The Carolina Panthers conducted a mercy killing and put Frank Reich out of his misery. All those years as a Steelers minority owner and Tepper didn’t learn a thing about continuity. The Steelers have had 3 head coaches since 1969. Whoever Tepper hires will be his 3rd since 2020.
It was a four year deal for Reich as a Panther and he lasts 11 games...Merry Christmas Frank!!!

It was a four year deal for Reich as a Panther and he lasts 11 games...Merry Christmas Frank!!!
I mean, he's getting paid Tepper's money for three more seasons and doesn't have to listen to Tepper whine when things don't go his way now. Win/win from where I sit.

Have some friends that work with the panthers. They work ‘upstairs’ and have some knowledge of the inner workings. Word is that Reich and his staff preferred Stroud over Young and Reich even said Young would be a career back-up and should not be their #1 pick. Tepper made the comment in a room full of staffers that There is no way he was drafting Stroud because he “looked like a thug”…which drew an audible gasp and grumble from many in the room. He then told them they were drafting Young and they would have to ‘deal with it’.

He is a clown

Back