• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Weekends at the Fair are a crapfest. Always have been, always will be. The minor traffic flow changes seem to have made everything more volatile in that general area even during a regular rush hour, but the general concept remains. If you're gong to the Fair and you don't expect traffic problems, including perhaps epic traffic problems, then you are so unrealistic that you're potentially a danger to yourself and others. It's kind of like going to the Canes home opener or the first game of the playoffs and expecting arena parking to go well.

I may be getting old, but at least I got to be swept up in the joyous fervor of The Bird and Fernandomania as they happened. Baseball is always so much more fun when there are true characters playing the game.

One more note on the fair...Lenovo Arena needs to take a page out of the Canes and Wolfpack playbook and just ease up on all the big shows piled into a 10 day fair run. The Canes and Pack learned that lesson years ago, it's not that hard to do...scheduling back to back to back large scale events at the arena during the fair is just dumb...100K plus crowds for the fair do not need 6 or 7 of those nights adding another 19K for a concert in that general vicinity. I know it's unrealistic to not expect anything at the arena but you do not need half or more of those fair days to have that much booked.

One more note on the fair...Lenovo Arena needs to take a page out of the Canes and Wolfpack playbook and just ease up on all the big shows piled into a 10 day fair run. The Canes and Pack learned that lesson years ago, it's not that hard to do...scheduling back to back to back large scale events at the arena during the fair is just dumb...100K plus crowds for the fair do not need 6 or 7 of those nights adding another 19K for a concert in that general vicinity. I know it's unrealistic to not expect anything at the arena but you do not need half or more of those fair days to have that much booked.
Man, I (somehow) remember parking on H'boro St. somewhere west of Gorman and hoofing it to a Pack v Cheats game during the Fair in the early 80s. It was me, my tarhole g/f, my roommate, and some of my SoD deadhead friends. Then we had to hoof it back to the VW van after the game. I think we parked at what used to be the LP gas outlet. The non-smoker half of us thought the smoker half of us was going to ignite the place when we got back. A strange little lot, we were.

I still have flashbacks about getting stuck in somebody else's fender-bender on Trinity heading to a State/Clemson game during the Fair in the late 90s or early 00s. Freaking nightmare. I got to my seat right before halftime.

I still have flashbacks about getting stuck in somebody else's fender-bender on Trinity heading to a State/Clemson game during the Fair in the late 90s or early 00s. Freaking nightmare. I got to my seat right before halftime.
We inexplicably went to the fair that day. State Fair, 2 Ag schools playing across the street. What was I thinking?

Don't the Canes control the arena schedule through Gale Force? With the Canes out of town and NC State not starting yet, do you think Dundon wants an empty arena for 10 days?

I remember being stuck in Fair traffic for what seemed like an eternity when we were trying to get the Maryland vs. State football game in 1973. It was obscene. Traffic had nowhere to go. My father told us to get out and walk, then he'd catch up to us. It was well before I-40 was a thing and the area where the Lenovo Center is now was a fenced off pasture that nobody was parking in. My Dad ended up parking in the Medlin family's lot off Trinity Rd. as he saw an open spot due to someone leaving the Fair. He didn't find us until about halftime.

Jim

Back