• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Alex Semin smoked when he played here.

I rember watching a preseason game in Greensboro in the early 90s, and seeing Rick Vaive smoking immediately after the game.

I used to be able to ride 50 miles on my bicycle and get off and light up a Camel.

A friend was incredulous that another friend and I did that one day. Of course, he was twisting up a doob at the time!

This was, needless to say, many many years and pounds ago.

I remember seeing Jeff O'Neill around the bars, smoking his little life away. I said "hey" to him once the look on his face clearly told me to fuck off. Way to build the culture here, Jeffy! You ass.

Yeah ... the old days were different, man. We're mostly all old enough to remember elite athletes of all types smoking during games. NFL locker rooms had smoking sections, and NHL rooms were notoriously smokey. Nearly everybody's seen that picture of Len Dawson smoking a dart and drinking a freaking Fresca of all things when he was QB of the Chiefs during halftime of the first Super Bowl. MLB dugouts used to have one side dedicated to the smokers (usually the side where the manager sat fuming away) and the other dedicated to the chewers ... with the odd, twitchy guy who did both. More running based sports had a bit less public tobacco use but some tennis players used to light up on the court during breaks. Yannick Noah and Ilie Nastase were famously pack-a-day guys in their primes.

Yeah ... the old days were different, man. We're mostly all old enough to remember elite athletes of all types smoking during games. NFL locker rooms had smoking sections, and NHL rooms were notoriously smokey. Nearly everybody's seen that picture of Len Dawson smoking a dart and drinking a freaking Fresca of all things when he was QB of the Chiefs during halftime of the first Super Bowl. MLB dugouts used to have one side dedicated to the smokers (usually the side where the manager sat fuming away) and the other dedicated to the chewers ... with the odd, twitchy guy who did both. More running based sports had a bit less public tobacco use but some tennis players used to light up on the court during breaks. Yannick Noah and Ilie Nastase were famously pack-a-day guys in their primes.

IMG_5866.jpeg

I remember seeing Jeff O'Neill around the bars, smoking his little life away. I said "hey" to him once the look on his face clearly told me to fuck off. Way to build the culture here, Jeffy! You ass.
The only times I met Jeff he was standoffish AF, even at STM events and things.

I met Jeff and Bates once. It was in the refs locker room at the ice house. He seemed nice at that time. Bares never said a word.

The ACC is going bi-coastal. In a reversal from a few weeks ago, the league extended offers to Cal, Stanford and SMU. The league needed approval from 12 of the 15 schools, there had been 4 rumored holdouts; Clemson, FSU, NC State and UNC. RL Bynum from the Tar Heel Tribune tweeted that, according to reports, NC State was the school that flipped.

Financially, I guess it was a good move, this will close a little of the revenue gap between the ACC and Big 10 and SEC. Competitively? Not so much.

College sports has just had its "jump the shark" moment (if it hadn't happened already with the B1G now stretching from LA to a few minutes away from Staten Island) -- the All Coasts Conference.

Oh and speaking of "fun" college football news ... Spectrum/Charter cable pulled the plug on ESPN and their other Disney owned channels last night at 8PM. Their carriage agreement didn't run out until Midnight last night, so that was a deliberate effort to "motivate" their customers to put pressure on Disney. That probably backfired though, from what I saw online. Pretty much everybody was blaming Spectrum and not Disney. So, unless something gets resolved today it looks like Week 1 of the college football season might be dark for a LOT of fans stuck trying to watch games on Spectrum.

Oh and speaking of "fun" college football news ... Spectrum/Charter cable pulled the plug on ESPN and their other Disney owned channels last night at 8PM. Their carriage agreement didn't run out until Midnight last night, so that was a deliberate effort to "motivate" their customers to put pressure on Disney. That probably backfired though, from what I saw online. Pretty much everybody was blaming Spectrum and not Disney. So, unless something gets resolved today it looks like Week 1 of the college football season might be dark for a LOT of fans stuck trying to watch games on Spectrum.
From what I read, they didn’t just pull the plug on the linear channels, they blocked access to viewing with the apps for anyone that has Spectrum as their cable subscriber.

From what I read, they didn’t just pull the plug on the linear channels, they blocked access to viewing with the apps for anyone that has Spectrum as their cable subscriber.
can confirm... it's an obvious move though, otherwise too easy a workaround to just block on the cable boxes... we watch more via our tablets/phones/smart tv apps than we do on the cable box.

I would expect that at this stage, honestly. Probably well over a third of their subscribers are accessing programing via an app at any given time.

This is incredible: 92000 fans attend a Nebraska volleyball match in the football stadium setting a record for a women's sporting event attendance.

From the article:
This was paid attendance too. Tickets for the doubleheader -- Wayne State beat Nebraska-Kearney in a Division II exhibition before the Huskers and Mavericks played -- were originally priced at $25 for adults and $5 for high school students and younger. But ticket prices reached as much as $400 on the secondary market.

So cool.

can confirm... it's an obvious move though, otherwise too easy a workaround to just block on the cable boxes... we watch more via our tablets/phones/smart tv apps than we do on the cable box.
We told Spectrum to stuff it last year and went to T Mobile wireless. It has a few hiccups, but is superior to Spectrum, for a lot less $$. My wife called Spectrum to cancel the service and they started offering sweet deals (temporary, of course). They were saying how much we mattered to them... My wife hit them with "If we mattered that much to you, you wouldn't have been over-charging of us & providing us with such chitty service the entire time." "Nothing you can say will bring us back."
We use a Super Box & a Roku for the TVs in our house, which work good enough.

Jim

Back