• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

With the passing of the legendary Mojo Nixon, the world has become a little less weird and fun. Remember these two things in your remaining days in this mortal coil: 1) be the cheez wiz in the cavair of life and B) Don Henley Must Die!

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qt81bVae4tQ

Here is Mojo Nixon relating the story of when Don Henley showed up to one of his shows:

No memory boasts greater mythological status than the night of July 31, 1992, when Eagles singer/drummer Don Henley jumped onstage with Mojo Nixon & the Toadliquors to join in a version of "Don Henley Must Die."

"I don't know how many people can fit in the front room, 100 at the most, but about 5,000 people have told me they were there," chuckles Nixon, 22 years after the fact.

The cow-punk icon had gotten word from one of Henley's buddies, a regular at the Hole, that Don might show up that night, but he nearly shat himself when his road manager approached the stage and said, "Dude, it's fuckin' him!"

"There I was, the king of bullshit, completely flabbergasted," remembers Nixon. "I took my guitar off, put it back on, did that like three times, then got on the mic and said, 'Don, do you want to debate? Do you want to fist fight?' He was shit-faced and he goes, 'I want to sing that song, especially the part about not getting together with Glenn Frey!'"

The band launched into the track with Nixon singing the insulting verse: "Poet of despair/ Pumped up with hot air/ He's serious, pretentious, and I just don't care." When the chorus hit, Nixon let Henley take the lead: "Don Henley must die, don't let him get back together with Glenn Frey!"

"He was beltin' that shit out, screaming like he was Johnny fuckin' Rotten," says Nixon.

When the song ended, Henley shook hands with the band, who complimented his "balls as big as church bells." Then, says Nixon, he walked outside and failed to open his car door because he'd put his key into the wrong Mercedes. Everyone watched through the window as the Toadliquors covered the Eagles' "Already Gone."

The experience gave Nixon respect for Henley: "I was surprised he was so magnanimous and that he didn't punch me. That stage is so tiny, he could have knocked me out at any moment."

Last edited:
With the passing of the legendary Mojo Nixon, the world has become a little less weird and fun. Remember these two things in your remaining days in this mortal coil: 1) be the cheez wiz in the cavair of life and B) Don Henley Must Die!

Here is Mojo Nixon relating the story of when Don Henley showed up to one of his shows:

Chapel Hill native and a real, certifiable bag of nuts. I saw that he passed away on one of those Outlaw Country cruises, and there's a real poetry to that. He would have freaking hated that idea or loved it. Or both.

Saw him at the Rialto w/ my friend Steve back in, hmmmmm, a damned long time ago.

I wonder if he put the 220 on the wrong money, honey.

I saw Mojo with Skid Roper twice at the Brewery, and once by himself in Charlotte. "I'm In Love With Your Girlfriend" and "I Hate Banks" are two of my faves. RIP Mojo. Thanks for the mushroom addled insanity.

Jim

The USHL suspended Omaha Lancer's Dman David Posma for 17 games for his actions near the end of the February 2nd game vs. Sioux City. Posma has only played 10 USHL games this season and has managed to get suspended twice. The 17 game suspension was a USHL record (congrats you punk, you don't deserve to play in any league!)

View: https://youtu.be/LMdciwuwCf0?si=3__oi4ohK1YYk0Ad

20 years old, undrafted. Came up through the NAHL but played 1 game with USHl Cedar Rapids..Spent last year at Niagara U, started this year there but headed to the USHL instead.

The USHL suspended Omaha Lancer's Dman David Posma for 17 games for his actions near the end of the February 2nd game vs. Sioux City. Posma has only played 10 USHL games this season and has managed to get suspended twice. The 17 game suspension was a USHL record (congrats you punk, you don't deserve to play in any league!)

View: https://youtu.be/LMdciwuwCf0?si=3__oi4ohK1YYk0Ad

The NHL would have named an award after him. Seriously, that is a $5000 fine in the nhl.

Milan Lucic - DA drops charges
But he’s remaining on leave for the rest of the season.

DAs dropping charges rarely means that there's no underlying issues ... so ... good on Lucic and the Bruins for sticking with the program and presumably getting him some help.

Huge local music scene loss yesterday. RIP Dexter Romweber.
Sheesh ... first Mojo and now Dex. Double body blows. You never knew what you were gonna get when Dexter played, but it was always going to be wild time. Every so often you still see a local drummer with a sticker of his sister Sara on the bass drum. We've lost both of them now.

It sucks hearing that contemporaries whose music I got to enjoy have left us. Makes me wish I'd paid closer attention back in the day. You can't make it last forever & have to rejoice in the fact that you were there to enjoy them in the first place. Also makes me consider my own mortailty...especially when I really shouldn't still be here in the first place. Rock on, guys & thanks for the good memories!

Jim

Sheesh ... first Mojo and now Dex. Double body blows. You never knew what you were gonna get when Dexter played, but it was always going to be wild time. Every so often you still see a local drummer with a sticker of his sister Sara on the bass drum. We've lost both of them now.
Dex & Crow played at some friends' party in a basement on Everett Ave one night in 1984 after they played the Brewery. They showed up and set up and someone shoved some mushrooms in their faces and they played until...well, damned if I can remember. I still have no idea where I woke up the next day. Or if I did, for that matter.
ETA: someone recorded that party, but no one knows what became of the tape. Too damned bad.
They also played at the Rialto one night before the movie Eraserhead. I remember Dex whipped it out for some reason and talked some shit about his little pee wang doodle.
Dude showed up at School of Design one night as he knew said friends of mine on Everett Ave.^^. He brought along one of his friend's ashes in an urn. Damned if I know why.
RIP, Dex.

Back