• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2019-Whenever Misc. Grab Bag Thread

Saban is being replaced by DeBoer
Helluva day for Jimmy Sexton. Saban is his client, so there goes the gravy train. But…he got raises for clients Dan Lanning (Oregon), Steve Sarkisian (Texas) and Norvell to stay. And client Kalen DeBoer got the job at Alabama.

I mean, this is definitely true ... although asking for context when talking college football is a big ask.

Also, Georgia's guys mostly saw the disappointing bowl assignment as a part of their process while FSU's guys were transactional about their decisions. Not saying either approach is wrong, but it does say something abut the state of both programs.
I dunno. Georgia had the chance to make the playoffs and came up short. FSU did everything they could. Undefeated ACC champs. That’s a whole different level of disappointment. But I see it as symptomatic of the destruction of college sports.

I mean even as the hugest fan of any given program how can you feel good when your team just gets a bunch of new players in the transfer portal. Then changes half of them out the next year. It’s worse than professional leagues because there aren’t even any contracts. Everyone’s a free agent every season.

Last edited:
I dunno. Georgia had the chance to make the playoffs and came up short. FSU did everything they could.
It wasn't disappointment that drove half of FSU's roster to the portal or to the draft before their bowl game. It was their transactional relationship with the program in the first place ... as evidenced by the massive penalty FSU took for abusing NIL payments. It's a systemic problem ... just not the one people keep rattling on about.

Andrew Marchand reports in the New York Post that the NFL and ESPN are in advanced talks that could result in the league taking an equity stake in ESPN. ESPN would take control of NFL Media, which includes the NFL Network and RedZone.

I think that should probably read "ESPN will host NFL Media." The NFL doesn't need ESPN other than for the platform. The tables have turned in media and the biggest actual ratings draw is the one with the clout.

Bill Belechik, please pick up the white courtesy phone.
I’ll be shocked if he’s not in Dallas in the morning. I can’t imagine McCarth surviving that debacle. And talking about Dan Quinn? After his defense gave up 6 TDs and a perfect passer rating to Jordan Love? Gonna be a clean sweep. Or, since I’m watching a house hunting show, a total gut job.

He was a lock for Atlanta until that dismantling. Crazy Jerry will pay him some ridiculous amount and unless he’s bringing Brady with him, he’ll do the same thing in Dallas that he did in New England without Brady. Nothin

He was a lock for Atlanta until that dismantling. Crazy Jerry will pay him some ridiculous amount and unless he’s bringing Brady with him, he’ll do the same thing in Dallas that he did in New England without Brady. Nothin
Except he’d have a functioning QB in Dallas, that he didn’t have post-Brady. The end in New England was caused as much or more by poor drafting decisions that he made, he had final say on all football matters and there was no counterbalance to him after Scott Pioli left. And that’s one thing that might keep him away from Dallas…Jerry Jones is the GM, his son Stephen is director of player personnel. I’m sure that Belichick would have input, but Jones will make the final decision. And as Belichick’s mentor Parcells said, “if they want you to cook the meal, they ought to let you buy the groceries”. Parcells coached for Jones for 4 years, going 34-30, making the playoffs twice but not winning a playoff game.

Yeah, Belechick is going to demand the keys to all the offices and the ability to hire not just coaching staff but support and personnel staff as well. The chances of the Jones Boys realizing that THEY might be the problem in Dallas are slim and none, so it doesn't seem like a good fit really. Doesn't mean it won't happen ... we'll see. Money and a decent QB in his prime talk really loudly in the NFL.

It sounds like the death knell for the most influential sports magazine ever. My father was a charter subscriber of Sports Illustrated. Friday afternoons were always a race to get home so I could get through at least part of the magazine before he got home and claimed it. So many great writers and photographers. And then the private equity folks got their hands on it and dismantled it piece by piece.

View: https://x.com/richarddeitsch/status/1748392933013795327?s=61&t=ZT8KDHkGMyk7V3JAuh5_ag

Once upon a time, they had a corner on the best sports writers. I do miss seeing the weekly issue at the grocery checkout. This time was coming sooner or later, though. It doesn't make it less sad.

Even before the recent AI revelations, I hadn't seen any actual reporting (at least on their social media feeds) in a long time. It was just Buzzfeed with sports.

Once upon a time, they had a corner on the best sports writers. I do miss seeing the weekly issue at the grocery checkout. This time was coming sooner or later, though. It doesn't make it less sad.
Hunter S Thompson included!

Even before the recent AI revelations, I hadn't seen any actual reporting (at least on their social media feeds) in a long time. It was just Buzzfeed with sports.
Yeah, they had actually cut most of the active reporting staff last year, and the ones that are getting the axe now are mostly the editorial staff and long form features writers. The mag died last year. This is just a bullet to make sure.

This is just a bullet to make sure.

I predict it will be back in some form. The people who own the brand—and who licensed it to another company for the actual production of the content—will likely look for another way to generate revenue from the asset, even if it is an asset of diminishing value.

Back