• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

Nowhere to put League Cup stuff, so here goes

The Carabao Cup quarterfinals are this week. They are as follows

DateQuarterfinalsTime (ET)Streaming
Tues, Dec. 21Arsenal vs. Sunderland2:45 p.m.ESPN+
Wed, Dec. 22Tottenham vs. West Ham2:45 p.m.ESPN+
Wed, Dec. 22Brentford vs. Chelsea2:45 p.m.ESPN+
Wed, Dec. 22Liverpool vs. Leicester City2:45 p.m.ESPN+
That works. We used to have a catch-all thread for league cups and the like but nobody ever bothered to post so ... yeah.

That works. We used to have a catch-all thread for league cups and the like but nobody ever bothered to post so ... yeah.
Yeah, we’ve always treated the League. Upwith the same ambivalence as the Premier League does.

Sunderland is the last EFL club standing, they’ve made it all the way to the quarters without facing a Premier League side, facing Championship sides QPR and Blackpool the last 2 rounds.

The FA Cup will not have replays for ties in the 3rd and 4th rounds. If the score is tied after regular time, they’ll play 2 - 15 minute overtimes and then go to penalties.

The FA Cup will not have replays for ties in the 3rd and 4th rounds. If the score is tied after regular time, they’ll play 2 - 15 minute overtimes and then go to penalties.
I like Klopp's idea, too, of a single leg semifinal for the League Cup. The two-leg tradition is no longer viable, in any case.

Speaking of League Cup, all you need to do to gauge how important it is for Liverpool is to look at the starters vs Leicester today. Three youth team players and our young right back who deputies for Trent is playing as a wing today! Not a wing back but up front on the right! 😳

Speaking of League Cup, all you need to do to gauge how important it is for Liverpool is to look at the starters vs Leicester today. Three youth team players and our young right back who deputies for Trent is playing as a wing today! Not a wing back but up front on the right! 😳
Thirteen minutes in, and Jamie Vardy has a brace. All you need to know...

The timing of the League Cup matches all but guarantees that happening. In the 2 weeks between 12/18 - 1/1, Arsenal has 5 matches.

Then Klopp makes a triple sub of starters for the second half, Minamino scores in the 95th minute, and LFC wins on spot kicks 5-4 thanks to two saves by their #2 Caoimhin Kelleher. Wow!

Other results
Brentford 0-2 Chelsea
Tottenham 2-1 West Ham

The timing of the League Cup matches all but guarantees that happening. In the 2 weeks between 12/18 - 1/1, Arsenal has 5 matches.
Six now. For LFC, including our league cup semi against you, same time frame (less one day), same number of games (6). And our Carabao Cup first leg tie is one day after we play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. The FA needs to do better.

And our Carabao Cup first leg tie is one day after we play Chelsea at Stamford Bridge. The FA needs to do better.
Hearing the League Cup fixture will be the 4th most likely. A little better, but still nonsense. And our F.A. Cup tie is the 9th, with the League Cup return leg scheduled the next day.

I'm not aware of any other league that has two domestic Cup competitions. Why does the F. A.?
I don’t know about other leagues, but France had 2 domestic Cups. The League Cup was played for 26 years until the pandemic ended it.

There was a guy from Scotland on One of the old boards who took umbrage to any suggestion that the League Cup be discontinued. IIRC, his point was that it was a financial windfall for the lower level teams when the big boys came calling. But if the Prem is splashing more of their TV money to the EFL, maybe the time has come to end it. Leagues One and Two play for the EFL Trophy, so they have 3 cup competitions and a 46 match league schedule to contend with.

Last edited:
I don’t know about other leagues, but France had 2 domestic Cups. The League Cup was played for 26 years until the pandemic ended it.

There was a guy from Scotland on One of the old boards who took umbrage to any suggestion that the League Cup be discontinued. IIRC, his point was that it was a financial windfall for the lower level teams when the big boys came calling. But if the Prem is splashing more of their TV money to the EFL, maybe the time has come to end it. Leagues One and Two play for the EFL Trophy, so they have 3 cup competitions and a 46 match league schedule to contend with.
The League Cup is a financial windfall? Really? 🤔

(Thought about starting a transfer thread but one hasn't happened in a couple of years. I'll put this here for now)

101 Great Goals probably isn't the most reliable source but it had me thinking "if this is true, where should Dest go?"

Back