• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

Dier self-isolated and was replaced by Japhet Tanganga, who was directly responsible for two own goals. Final: 2-0.

Sad, because at one point the kid was very promising. You have to figure his Spurs career is shot after that, even if Conte left him in the whole match.
I remember watching Tanganga at the start of his career and thinking he'd be a long-term fixture in Spurs' first team. But much like Dele Alli, the wheels seem to have come completely off. Such a shame

The NC Courage move another player as part of their rebuild. Lynn Williams was traded to Kansas City for $200k in allocation money, the rights to goalkeeper Katelyn Rowland and KCs 1st round pick in the 2023 draft. Rowland played for the Flash/Courage from 2016-21.

CONCACAF gonna CONCACAF. NYCFC is in the CONCACAF Champions League. But neither Yankee Stadium or Citi Field are CONCACAF approved fields, so their home match on 2/23 has to be moved. Red Bull Arena isn’t available. So they moved the match to…

Banc of California Stadium

Now, it’s not as far-fetched as it seems. NYCFC opens their season at the Galaxy on 2/27, so it’s all on 1 west coast trip. But the home fans won’t get to see them

After winning the first leg 2-0 vs Spurs, Chelsea won the reverse fixture today, 1-0 on an Antonio Rudiger header in the first half. They win the semifinals 3-0 on aggregate, and await the Arsenal/Liverpool semifinals. The first leg of that match is tomorrow.

It's not it damages their chances of staying up. Those were already zeroed out.
It's more bad news for Gilmour and Scotland than for Norwich. He's grown into a pretty important role for the Scots, who have World Cup qualifying playoffs coming up in March. This will keep him out until awfully close to that window. Plus, the whole point of him going to Norwich in the first place was to show other Premiereship teams what he's got to generate a better move this summer.

Carabao Cup, first leg, at Anfield

Liverpool 0-0 Arsenal
Xhaka got himself (justly) sent off in the 24th minute, and the Gunners weathered the storm for the next 70 or so minutes (including injury time in both halves). They even managed to get the same number of shots on goal (one), though they generated only 3 shots the entire match to Liverpool's 17. Liverpool dominated possession but were lacking ideas in the final third. And when they did, a poor pass often resulted. Very disappointing performance for Liverpool.
Fair play to Arsenal, who've now managed to get the tie back to London dead even.

Carabao Cup, second leg, at The Emirates. Today at 2:45 PM EST. Not sure how much of this fixture I'll be able to watch, so may have to watch it later.

Interesting NWSL news ... Michelle Akers has joined Amanda Cromwell's coaching staff in Orlando. The Pride are joining NC Courage in a pretty comprehensive roaster and coaching staff change, but rather than just cobble together a staff from the (mostly male) pieces of their old regime they lured Cromwell away from UCLA and she went for the big culture guns by brining in USWNT legend Akers. Akers has never coached before, but did pursue some opportunities previously. She's a BIG personality, so Cromwell is showing some real stones here.

Interesting NWSL news ... Michelle Akers has joined Amanda Cromwell's coaching staff in Orlando. The Pride are joining NC Courage in a pretty comprehensive roaster and coaching staff change, but rather than just cobble together a staff from the (mostly male) pieces of their old regime they lured Cromwell away from UCLA and she went for the big culture guns by brining in USWNT legend Akers. Akers has never coached before, but did pursue some opportunities previously. She's a BIG personality, so Cromwell is showing some real stones here.
That was surprising, she’s been mostly absent since retiring in 2000. Orlando really hasn’t been competitive, making the playoffs only once.

She was my wife’s favorite player and we saw her last international match, a friendly against Russia in Annapolis. She scored on a PK and that was that, she didn’t play in the Olympics.

Akers was just an amazing player ... ferocious, relentless, ruthless. Folks like that don't always have great success in coaching, but when they do they tend to be absolutely great at that as well. And look, Orlando REALLY needed a sea change. Cromwell was a great get for them. She's also a national team vet, and was one of the better coaches in the NCAA for a long, long time. Same kind of trajectory that Jill Ellis was on when she shifted to the US program, but with a lot more time served. She should do a very good job with the technical stuff if nothing else. If they have or can find somebody to support her with personnel savvy then I'd bet on the Pride to find better success than their past approach of just collecting as many marketable players as possible and hoping for the best.

I hope they do turn it around, for personal reasons. Because of my ties to Orlando I often find myself in town with access to tickets I don't have to pay for to both Pride and City games. It would be nice if they didn't suck.

Interesting. Hope they can see this as a growth opportunity for the club. I know nothing of them
The President of Carlisle was born in Scotland but came to the US when he was 5. I can‘t find much about therm, they’re privately held so no idea what their revenue or assets are. They own a bunch of radio stations in New Hampshire and Maine under Binnie Media.

Yeah, you're probably not gonna find much. There's a lot of those smaller regional private equity outfits and they tend to keep their operations very close to the vest. Somebody in the Binnie family must love football a lot, because Derby are nobody's idea of a good investment if all you want to do is turn a profit on a re-sale. More of a black hole, really. A money pit, even.

Back