• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

Just insane. CR7 had clearly shown an unwillingness to change at all in any way that would allow him to be productive for a top team. Even at his age, Benzema is one of the top strikers in the world, but he's had more than enough success where making close to equal to the total he's made previously in his career each season seems hard to turn down. If we need any example of why we need to get away from oil and switch to more sustainable sources of energy, this isn't the number one thing, but it's in the top twenty.

The Saudis and their neighbors in the gulf got more mileage out of their World Cup sportswash job that anyone wants to admit out loud. When you literally pump money out of the ground, what's a couple hundred million if it makes people look the other way when you do vile corrupt stuff?

Alvaro Barreal from FC Cincinnati with a wonder goal in the US Open Cup tonight.

Every time somebody buries one of those things, it encourages 100 other dudes to rip long volleys, most of which end up in the upper deck. I love it.

N‘Golo Kante is joining Benzema at Al-Ittihad but for a lower salary, it’s an 2 year deal worth only $107 million per year.

Leo Messi to Inter Miami?

Every time somebody buries one of those things, it encourages 100 other dudes to rip long volleys, most of which end up in the upper deck. I love it.

I don't love xG, mostly because people don't understand it and thus almost anyone who talks about it, misuses it like it's some sort of magical number. It definitely did have the effect of teaching teams that shots from distance are almost always a horrible idea though, so it has a little merit.

N‘Golo Kante is joining Benzema at Al-Ittihad but for a lower salary, it’s an 2 year deal worth only $107 million per year.

Leo Messi to Inter Miami?

Good for him. Kind of a weird move for the club though as he's not really a superstar and doesn't play a flashy position.

I don't love xG, mostly because people don't understand it and thus almost anyone who talks about it, misuses it like it's some sort of magical number. It definitely did have the effect of teaching teams that shots from distance are almost always a horrible idea though, so it has a little merit.
I miss the old "may as well have a rip" days, honestly. Not only do we get less long range bangers, I enjoy a good over-cooked ball that ends up in the seats. Keeps the goalkeepers (and fans) on their toes :0)

Good for him. Kind of a weird move for the club though as he's not really a superstar and doesn't play a flashy position.
Kante makes any club he's on significantly better, even in his old age. If the Saudis just have to throw their greasy money at players, I'd rather it be world class defensive midfielders rather than finicky, fragile, pretty boy forwards.

Kante makes any club he's on significantly better, even in his old age. If the Saudis just have to throw their greasy money at players, I'd rather it be world class defensive midfielders rather than finicky, fragile, pretty boy forwards.

Oh, Kante's the best player of the three and the youngest. He's also the one that most should be still playing for a top European side. I'd probably take Benzema over him for Villa, just because we have a lot of 6s and 8s and could really use a clinical scorer, but Kante should still be playing in the champions league. Hard to turn down generational wealth though.

Scrolling through the FotMob app today to see if there were any matches I could use as background noise while working. Paramount+ has the rights to first division matches in Argentina and Brazil

Scrolling through the FotMob app today to see if there were any matches I could use as background noise while working. Paramount+ has the rights to first division matches in Argentina and Brazil
They do. I keep Paramount+ for the NWSL and SPL, but I've found the matches from Argentina to be quite entertaining. River Plate and Boca Juniors give Celtic/Rangers a run for pure tribal hatred.

CONCACAF removed Nicaragua from the Gold Cup and relegated them to Nations League Group B. They used an ineligible player in 8 matches. They’ve been replaced by Trinidad & Tobago in both the Gold Cup and Nations League Group A. Antigua and Barbuda replace T&T in the Gold Cup prelims.

He’s back. Paul Tenorio at The Athletic says that Berhalter is back as coach of the USMNT.

He’s back. Paul Tenorio at The Athletic says that Berhalter is back as coach of the USMNT.
I'm not happy about it, but weirdly enough it's a lower risk move than a lot of the other realistic options. The US fan base is gonna hate this, but they were gonna hate whoever they hired anyway. This fantasy of hiring Pep or whatever ... god save us from morons. Hopefully Berhalter has learned some lessons and will come back a bit more humble and more tactically flexible. And hopefully US Soccer will give him proper professional support this time.

Steven Goff from the Washington Post reported that the USSF Board of Directors vote on GGG was not unanimous.

Callaghan will remain in charge through the Gold Cup.

Martin Tyler is stepping down from Sky Sports. We haven’t heard him much with NBC broadcasting the games. But i occasionally lucked onto him if I didn’t want to watch the main 10 am Saturday match. And Fox used him for international matches.

Here is his call of Sergio Aguero’s match winner that clinched Man City’s first ever Premier League Championship.

Steven Goff from the Washington Post reported that the USSF Board of Directors vote on GGG was not unanimous.

Callaghan will remain in charge through the Gold Cup.
I'd have been more surprised if it had been unanimous. For good or ill, the Reynas still have support on that board and Berhalter remains a polarizing figure on his own merits as well.

Peter Drury is replacing Tyler at Sky. No word on how or if he’ll continue as NBC’s lead voice. With the shotgun wedding between the PGA Tour and LIV, does that clear the way for the return of Arlo White?

Back