• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021-22-23-24 News Thread

PSG Women’s player Aminata Diallo was taken into custody following an attack on the clubs’ players. She allegedly hired masked men to injure teammate Kheira Hamraoui to remove her from competition for playing time.

As a former local TV sportscaster tweeted, France has its own Nancy Kerrigan/Tonya Harding drama.
Was just coming to post this as i just got a news alert on it.
You just knew it had to happen again eventually. Unfortunately.

US Soccer and Nike renewed their kit contract for 9 years. So expect more generic jerseys.
Meh. It's the US, so when they do anything other than generic jerseys people lose their freaking minds. I'm cool with boring kits so long as they pick a template and stick to it long enough to make it the "official look."

Then again ... the Waldo jerseys are still my favorites from the last couple of decades. So maybe I'm talking out of my butt here

Meh. It's the US, so when they do anything other than generic jerseys people lose their freaking minds. I'm cool with boring kits so long as they pick a template and stick to it long enough to make it the "official look."

Then again ... the Waldo jerseys are still my favorites from the last couple of decades. So maybe I'm talking out of my butt here
I liked the Waldo jerseys too. But to me, too many Nike kits look the same, just different colors on a generic design.

I liked the Waldo jerseys too. But to me, too many Nike kits look the same, just different colors on a generic design.
Again ... so long as that's the thing you do, then I think it's fine. Honestly, people love International kits that are recognizable even if it's boring. Nothing fancy about the all white/all black that New Zealand do for everything but if they did something different then people would freak. Brazil's kit would look better on Sweden but somehow it's iconic ... because they rarely ever change it. England fans bemoan their white shirt/blue shorts look, but that team looks out of place in almost anything else. Just pick something and stick to it ... literally anything.

David Henderson, who arranged the flight from Nantes to Cardiff that crashed into the English Channel carrying Emiliano Sala ahead of a £15 million transfer to Cardiff, was sentenced to 18 months in prison. Sala and the pilot were killed, the pilot did not hold a commercial pilot’s license, was not qualified to fly at night and his rating on the aircraft that crashed had expired.

Dean Smith headed to Carrow Road
In normal circumstances I'd say that's a great fit and a great hire. But I wonder about Smith not taking any time off to collect himself before plugging right back in. He was 100% without ideas by the end at Villa, no matter how charitable everyone seems to want to be since he so obviously loved the club so much. Great guy ... not sure his head's in the right place right now.

Prolly doesn't matter since Norwich are going down either way. They take the long game seriously up in East Anglia, and this move is more about next season in the Championship than this one.

In normal circumstances I'd say that's a great fit and a great hire. But I wonder about Smith not taking any time off to collect himself before plugging right back in. He was 100% without ideas by the end at Villa, no matter how charitable everyone seems to want to be since he so obviously loved the club so much. Great guy ... not sure his head's in the right place right now.

Prolly doesn't matter since Norwich are going down either way. They take the long game seriously up in East Anglia, and this move is more about next season in the Championship than this one.
But are they content to grab the big TV money and parachute payments in alternate years? Or do they aspire to stick in the Prem?

But are they content to grab the big TV money and parachute payments in alternate years? Or do they aspire to stick in the Prem?
So far, they've been content to bounce back and forth during this cycle and have decided not to spend heavily towards another longer run in the Prem. They spent a bunch of money in that 4 year run in the Prem a while back and made next to nothing in return. Given the market and the pockets of the owners, it doesn't look like they have bigger ambitions. Which is 100% fine. Be who you are, man.

2022 US Soccer HOF nominees: Made the announcement (on Paramount +). Good to see Mo, Gooch and Dempsey on the list of finalists. And Hope Solo made it again. Really nice to see Briana Scurry take the high road and pump up her nomination.
But we'll see who gets in

Dempsey should be a mortal lock ... and Solo would be as well if she hadn't had some many off field issues. Honestly, she should be anyway. She's the best keeper in the history of the women's game by a country mile.

Dempsey should be a mortal lock ... and Solo would be as well if she hadn't had some many off field issues. Honestly, she should be anyway. She's the best keeper in the history of the women's game by a country mile.
But they only take 3 each year (why?) And with David Beckham, Robbie Keane, Thierry Henry, along with Aly Wagner and Lauren Cheney Holliday on that list, how do you choose?

Back