• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL Draft Thread

For the record ... especially in this draft, I'm in favor of accumulating as many swings as possible. When everything is a roll of the dice, the more rolls you get, the better your chances of hitting on something.
On the other hand, we had plenty of picks across multiple years in the early 2000s and wound up with mostly meh… at best.

in a contrarian mood.

On the other hand, we had plenty of picks across multiple years in the early 2000s and wound up with mostly meh… at best.

in a contrarian mood.
I mean, that's true but the current staff have a pretty good track record so far. These picks will be neither good nor bad until at least two years from now, no matter whether someone feels good about them or bad about them ... so it's a no-cost position either way.

And note the "especially in this draft" part. I feel like this one is fairly unique since missing out on seeing 50% of the kids in the pool play competitive games kind of matters. It's bad enough to gamble on a bunch of 18 year olds. This draft pool asked teams to gamble on a bunch of 18 year olds, roughly half of whom hadn't played for real since they were 17.

/puts on rose colored glasses

Our Cup window just got extended by 5 years with this draft
I mean ... I can't imagine that's true. Even if every one of the Canes pipe dreams came true, you're looking at maybe 2 or 3 NHLers out of any group that starts at 40. Unless Pavel Datsyuk is lurking in this bunch ... nah.

This draft nugget, for some reason, never registered with me until I just re-read it: after trading for future greatest goalie in the history of the game, the Red Wings *traded up* to draft a goalie in the first round. Not saying nothing, just saying.

This draft nugget, for some reason, never registered with me until I just re-read it: after trading for future greatest goalie in the history of the game, the Red Wings *traded up* to draft a goalie in the first round. Not saying nothing, just saying.
And that "traded up" to draft that goalie happens to be a premier prospect with great size that looks to be technically sound.

I feel like the agent hurt Ned a bit with the way he used that arbitration ammunition to seal Ned's fate here in Carolina...I get the fact that he had every right to do it, but he sure was quick to get that deal done in Detroit fast for $3 million per after saying it had to be $3.5 to $4.5 million per here. I would have liked things to just play out a bit differently here where he signed for about $2.5 here as a 1A and shown a bit more in terms of overall starts in front of a good team. Might have to use my NHL Center Ice subscription to watch a few more Red Wings games to see how Ned holds up behind that defense!

Look ... that's all water under the bridge so far as I'm concerned. Ned didn't win the confidence of the staff and management here, so he went somewhere else. Bon chance to him.

I was thinking. Tons of college draftees. How many will finish college and go as UFAs? Weren’t there a lot more than normal in the early rounds?

I was thinking. Tons of college draftees. How many will finish college and go as UFAs? Weren’t there a lot more than normal in the early rounds?
There were a higher number of guys drafted from leagues that actually played last season. Europe, USHL and USHS, and QMJHL were all over-represented. And yes, we've seen more NCAA draftees opting to use their UFA leverage to their advantage in recent years as those guys and their families finally have seemed to get the memo that this whole thing is a freaking business. Combine those two short term trends and you might see an extra player or two do the NCAA/UFA shuffle trick. That's fine, but it'll be a blip in the grand scheme.

Back