• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

Habsy

Yes, I'm kidding people.
Staff member
Hall needs to pick up the production of he wants to be moved to a club with a shot at the cup this year. I figure him for a deadline trade.

Paulie Walnuts

I would never be involved in a business that gave out high interest loans. Just my 2 cents.

Got an email about a job with Reynolds tobacco. Told them my mother was a smoker who died of cancer and that I would only work for companies that improved health. But many people work for tobacco companies so to each his own.

HNIM

The "Eichel wants out" chatter will be ratcheting up again if things continue on this path in Buffalo. Anyone think Taylor Hall is going to re-up with Buffalo?

To add insult, they have to protect Jeff Skinner in the waiver draft because he has a full NMC.

Is that specifically in the CBA? It's not like Seattle is going to take him.

cmaleski2

That is not in the CBA, its an expansion draft rule. Any players with a NMC must be protected UNLESS the player agrees to be exposed.

I guess its fair to say that Buffalo should beg Skinner to waive his NMC cause so they can expose him, expecting, as you suggested, that there is no way that Seattle would take him. I don't remember any team successfully getting one their players with an NMC to agree to be exposed anyway for the Vegas draft?

Last edited:

NoMich

Do you think that Ron Francis would want him? Kevyn could really save his job if he could get Seattle to take Skinner in the expansion draft.

cmaleski2

No one is going to want to take on Jeff Skinner and that full contract as it sits now.

Seattle DOES have to get to at least 60% of the $81.5 million cap number via the expansion draft, but that won't require them to take on contract disasters.

NoMich

Yeah. I was just wondering out loud just because of the Hurricanes connection between Francis and Skinner. Francis: "Well, gosh, I've seen his potential. Maybe he can achieve out here in Seattle?"

cmaleski2

Skinner was only worthy of 11:26 in Buffalo's 3-1 loss tonight. I take it back, it can get worse for Skinner.

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
General thread hygiene comment ...

Folks, let's please try to stick to NHL-related stuff and not get distracted into discussions about the business practices of various owners. Yes, it's tangentially related and no, I don't care. This group goes from business to politics in about 3.1 seconds and then immediately into personal conflicts. So, yeah ... let's not do that. OK? Safer to just assume all the owners are creeps and get on with life.

andyt

Canes Moderator
Staff member
Dreger tweeted that Mike Babcock is going back behind the bench. At the University of Saskatchewan. He played there in 1981-82, in between seasons with Saskatoon and Moose Jaw in the WHL. Then he coached 1 season at the University of Lethbridge in 1993-94 after 2 meh years coaching Moose Jaw.

HeyKurtz

This between-periods delay due to the sunshine during the first Lake Tahoe game today is pretty ridiculous.

They've already moved tomorrow's game for a second time--it now will be played at 7PM EST and, as a result, will be on NBCSN instead of NBC.

Last edited:

cmaleski2

Bummer. Its a beautiful set up but sheesh, its the middle of the day and that sun is beating down from above. Was it not sunny at all any of the days around this time before today? How did they not expect this?

jeffbear

Mod Squad
Staff member
Dreger tweeted that Mike Babcock is going back behind the bench. At the University of Saskatchewan. He played there in 1981-82, in between seasons with Saskatoon and Moose Jaw in the WHL. Then he coached 1 season at the University of Lethbridge in 1993-94 after 2 meh years coaching Moose Jaw.
Assuming the school's athletics department exercises their usual oversight on Babs, then this is a lot more appropriate for his return to the bench than another NHL job would be.

HeyKurtz

The Doc Emrick career retrospective NBC ran this afternoon was outstanding.

If you didn't see it, it will run again at 5:30 PM on Tuesday on NBCSN. You can also view it on-demand using the NBC Sports app.

I highly recommend it.