• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2021 NHL/Miscellaneous News Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
The would be impressive if they had played each other more than 3 times since 1967.

Minor detail! I just like oddball stats like that.

My favorite stat is that Nolan Ryan holds the record for the most no-hitters in MLB history at seven. 7! That just seems like such an infinitesimal small number considering how many seasons he he was great and how long the game has been played at a professional level. Just seems like there should be more than seven by a single pitcher in all of the game's history, especially back in the dead ball era.

Seen elsewhere:
Since the foundation of the NHL (1917) one thing has remained true for every single season of its history:

If a Toronto team plays a Montreal team in the playoffs, the winner of that series wins the Stanley Cup.

LOL, whatever. Most of those years there were 6 teams in the NHL and in some of those early years just Montreal and a Toronto team was in the playoffs.

I'm fully expecting the Habs to get completely smoked in the next round. I will be stunned if that doesn't happen. Watching those 1st and 2nd round North Division playoff games, those teams all pretty much, well, stink compared to the playoff teams in the other divisions. Be it the goaltending or the swiss cheese defense many of those team ice, none of those teams are very good. A couple of them have some very elite high end talent and very little else.

Can Carey Price playing like "vintage best goalie in the world Carey Price" win Montreal the Cup? Yeah, I guess. But they are going to be playing teams that are at another level than they really have seen all season. And Joel Edmundson is one of their top Dmen. So yeah, not buying it even if Carey Price is spectacular.

Last edited:
Nic Roy has 13 points in 32 playoff games for Vegas. He has developed into a reliable 3rd line center in the desert.

Av's on the brink after being up 2-0 in the series and up 2-0 at home after two periods last night...talk about putting yourself in a bad position...I thought the Av's were the cream of the crop most of the season and now Vegas can smell blood at home to close things out.

Yeah ... Avs just aren't making required adjustments and maybe their youth is showing at some critical spots. I don't like DeBoer (as everybody and their brother knows by now), but he's been around this block before and knows what he's doing. So does his team. Colorado, as good as they are, haven't got that "been there, done that" either in the ranks or on the bench ... and it's showing a bit.

My heart says "I don't care who wins that series" and my brain says "The Bay Lightning better shred every remaining team into tiny, microscopic pieces so I don't feel so bad about the Hurricanes losing to them in 5."

Can someone please explain what is going on with the Saints?
Cassidy was whining about the officiating and the seeming disparity between calls agains the 2 teams. This is his quote after game 5, where the Islanders had 4 power plays and the Bruins 2. The Isles scored 3 times, the Bruins once in a 5-4 Islanders win.

“I think they sell a narrative over there that it’s more like the New York Saints and not the New York Islanders,” said Cassidy. “They play hard. They play the right way. The exact calls that are getting called on us do not get called on them.”

Sean Gentile at The Athletic ranks NHL teams 3rd jerseys. He ranks the Canes 3rd, behind the Avs and Blues, in Tier I: The Best of the Best. When they unveiled it at the 2018 Draft party, I immediately reached for my wallet and looked for a table where they were selling them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back