• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

My youngest daughter had Ryan Schmidt for Learn To Play at the RecZone. He passed through Fayetteville twice. In 1999-2000, he had 204 PIM and didn’t even crack the top 10. Former Cane Wade Brookbank was 4th with 354 PIM in 68 games. He wasn’t even close to the league leader; that was Curtis Voth, who amassed a stunning 466 PIM in 66 games. That was his 2nd consecutive season over 400 PIM.

Yea, I worked with Ryan. He was there in my first year I believe. I’ll check the team photo later

Ft. Wayne Komets was my first pro hockey experience.
We drove to Greensboro to take in a Winston Salem Polar Twins/Greensboro Monarchs game a few times in the 70s. The old Southern League. It only lasted 4-5 seasons, but it was wild and wooly fun at those games. Real Slap Shot crap. Those Twins/Generals games were always one weird shift from exploding into chaos.

I think back in the 60’s and 70’s there was a fine line between pro and semi pro.
we had to have full time jobs and only played weekends, either Friday and Saturday night or Saturday Night Sunday afternoon And both games against the same team. We played in Wisconsin, Illinois, northern Michigan and some in Iowa. All within several hours of travel. I think our furthest was Houghton/Hancock in northern Michigan.

I think our furthest was Houghton/Hancock in northern Michigan.

There are few places farther from anywhere, I can testify.
end-of-earth-vertical1200.jpg

We played some games at the armory. They had the shortest boards and no glass or screen of course. We had pools on who could check a person into the furthest row of seats.
We went to some bar up there and walked through a snow tunnel to get in.

I think back in the 60’s and 70’s there was a fine line between pro and semi pro.
we had to have full time jobs and only played weekends, either Friday and Saturday night or Saturday Night Sunday afternoon And both games against the same team. We played in Wisconsin, Illinois, northern Michigan and some in Iowa. All within several hours of travel. I think our furthest was Houghton/Hancock in northern Michigan.
Yeah, those Southern League guys were only pros because that's what it means when somebody pays you to do a thing.

Yeah, those Southern League guys were only pros because that's what it means when somebody pays you to do a thing.
We got paid a little bit, can’t remember how much, maybe $25/game. The stars got more. All of us got room, meals and beer paid on away games.

Free beer is always a plus!
Playing hockey makes a person very thirsty. We always drank with the opposing team. Some of the third period ‘fights’ were just shaking each other and discussing which bar we were going to.

The Paul Maurice coached Florida Panthers are fighting to make it into the playoffs... imagine that? We all know the story, been there, done that, & lived the heartache. Our old buddy and former Chicago Wolves netminder Alex Lyon has won four straight and helped pull the Panthers to within striking distance. Who saw that one coming? A month and a half ago, I figured Florida was done. Good for them. Who wants to see some Mo playoff hockey?

Jim

The Pens shit the bed last night, the Bolts are in the process of it tonight, down 3-1 to the Rangers after 1.

Back