• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

The Canes have never had a 50 goal guy (I know Stoughton did it for the Whale twice), and honestly, I'll be shocked if they ever do while RBA and GMDW are in charge. Not a criticism, but that's not the players they go after. I'd settle for having 3x 30g guys (hell, right now I'd take 2)

Pastrnak will also end this season in the top 20 in Shots on Goal for a single season. His 396 shots on goal is 17th all time since that stat was first officially counted in the 1959-60 season. Depending on how much he plays in the Bruins last 2 regular season games, he has a shot at top 12.

The all time single season SOG record is held Phil Esposito, who took 550 shots the season he scored 76 goals for the Bruins. The top 20 single season SOG holders include multiple greats:

Alex Ovechkin (6 seasons in top 20)
Phil Esposito (5 seasons in top 20)
Bobby Hull (2 seasons in top 20)
Brett Hull (1 season in top 20)
Bobby Orr (1 season in top 20)
Pavel Bure (1 season in top 20)
Jaromir Jagr (1 season in top 20)
Brendan Shanahan (1 season in top 20)
Paul Kariya (1 season in top 20)
David Pastrnak (1 season in top 20)

The most shots Wayne Gretzky ever took in a season was 370, which is currently 43rd in NHL history. That was the season he scored an NHL record 92 goals, for a tidy 24.9% Shooting percentage.

Islanders beat the Habs and close out the Pens. The win moves the Isles up to WC1 so the Panthers have something to play for tomorrow.

The Pens miss the playoffs for the first time since 2006, Crosby’s rookie year. This is the first year both Crosby and Malkin didn’t miss a game, and they still missed the playoffs. That’s what happens when you lose to the Blackhawks at home in the next to last game of the season.

Pastrnak will also end this season in the top 20 in Shots on Goal for a single season. His 396 shots on goal is 17th all time since that stat was first officially counted in the 1959-60 season. Depending on how much he plays in the Bruins last 2 regular season games, he has a shot at top 12.

The all time single season SOG record is held Phil Esposito, who took 550 shots the season he scored 76 goals for the Bruins. The top 20 single season SOG holders include multiple greats:

Alex Ovechkin (6 seasons in top 20)
Phil Esposito (5 seasons in top 20)
Bobby Hull (2 seasons in top 20)
Brett Hull (1 season in top 20)
Bobby Orr (1 season in top 20)
Pavel Bure (1 season in top 20)
Jaromir Jagr (1 season in top 20)
Brendan Shanahan (1 season in top 20)
Paul Kariya (1 season in top 20)
David Pastrnak (1 season in top 20)

The most shots Wayne Gretzky ever took in a season was 370, which is currently 43rd in NHL history. That was the season he scored an NHL record 92 goals, for a tidy 24.9% Shooting percentage.
Those 550 shots that Espo took traveled a total of 8 feet.

Islanders beat the Habs and close out the Pens. The win moves the Isles up to WC1 so the Panthers have something to play for tomorrow.

The Pens miss the playoffs for the first time since 2006, Crosby’s rookie year. This is the first year both Crosby and Malkin didn’t miss a game, and they still missed the playoffs. That’s what happens when you lose to the Blackhawks at home in the next to last game of the season.
We've all been hedging our bets in pre season predictions for years. "Either the Pens or the Caps will finally get old and miss the payoffs." Now is that time ... for both of them. And the old guys aren't even the problem, really.

The Blackhawks will no re-sign Jonathan Toews this summer. LeBrun says Toews will take some time off and decide. Honestly, with the health issues he’s had the last few years, he should just hang them up.

No, but I bet those salaries are.
Honestly, over-spending on depth guys who didn't deliver and a lack of youthful enthusiasm from ELC guys (because neither of them have any) was MUCH bigger issue in both cases. Both teams just look tired more than anything else.

Last year, Andersen and Raanta won the Jennings Trophy by a couple goals over the Rangers, this year the Bruins beat the Canes by 36.

Last year, Andersen and Raanta won the Jennings Trophy by a couple goals over the Rangers, this year the Bruins beat the Canes by 36.
It's a little weird that Carolina's goalies would finish second in least number of goals allowed given that none of them ever really settled into a prolonged run of good form. Kochetkov and Raanta both had smallish hot streaks going for a bit, but Freddie never really did. Collectively they ended up being pretty much right at league average with a .907 SV% but only allowed a 2.55 GAA. Strong testament to your defense corps being the real key to the D.

I think our system and D makes goalies look good.
I mean ... yeah. Remember when they brought in Mrazek and McIlhenney in the summer of 2018, and Waddell said all they were really looking for was NHL average goaltending? He knew then what's been proven over the subsequent 5 years. The personnel on D and the team system the Canes play is good enough for average goaltending to produce wins. You get anything better than that and it looks like a rocket launch.

Back