• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

The Penguins cleaned out the front office this morning, firing Brian Burke, Ron Hextall and assistant GM Chris Pryor. Burke and Hextall had only been there a little over 2 years, taking over in February 2021.

The Penguins cleaned out the front office this morning, firing Brian Burke, Ron Hextall and assistant GM Chris Pryor. Burke and Hextall had only been there a little over 2 years, taking over in February 2021.

Not even close to surprising ... not even the timing. Fenway Sports Group is un-doing a situation that was absolutely untenable. Hextall's management team was not only ineffective, they were operating entirely at odds with a coach to whom the club made a long-ish term commitment. The Pens got old, yes ... but more importantly, they got slow at a time when possession and speed are at a premium.

The Blues started some housecleaning too, firing assistant coaches Craig MacTavish and Mike Van Ryn.

Didn’t realize MacTavish was in Anaheim— thought for sure he was in the Oil’s front office.

I hope all these firings and job vacancies bring in new blood. It’s pathetic how the league recycles coaches and management with no real winning pedigree or well past their prime.

Didn’t realize MacTavish was in Anaheim— thought for sure he was in the Oil’s front office.

I hope all these firings and job vacancies bring in new blood. It’s pathetic how the league recycles coaches and management with no real winning pedigree or well past their prime.
MacTavish was with the Blues and this was his only year.

Dallas Eakins out in Anaheim. He was in the last year of his contract.
Eakins hit his ceiling last year. He had no clue what to do with those support vets they brought in to supposedly shepherd the kids through their next steps. Dude was lost, which was fine once they decided to tank but there was no chance he was sticking around past this season.

Laviolette out in Washington.
It was clear that his time was over. He got them through last season on sheer force of will after finishing higher in his first season than they had any right to expect. This year there just wasn't anything left in the tank. Lavi is a good coach, but he's only got the one trick. It's a good trick, but you need the right guys to pull it off ... they just don't have them.

Jackets fired Brad Larsen.
Like any of that mess was his fault. Jarmo put together a roster with zero quality down the middle and goaltending that had loudly proven to be unreliable and then axed the coach when he got the results he was always going to get. You do have to wonder how much longer their ownership is going to be blind to Kekalainen's BS.

Columbus reminds me of the Canes pre-Dundon in that they can’t sustain any relevance. Some years they’re on the radar and then more years than not, they fall flat. I looked it up- in 22 seasons, they’ve made the playoffs 6 times, 5 times in the past 10 years, but last playoff appearance was 2019. At some point it’s not the players or the coach, but management and ownership.

Well, they've only had two controlling owners ... John McConnell and his son. Super conservative, close to the vest guys who run a massive steel container manufacturer. I don't think they've ever been cheap, really ... but they've always been patient, leaning towards cautious. Honestly, I think their only ambition has been to be regionally relative, and it shows.

Rob Rossi from The Athletic has a list of 10 candidates for the Oens GM position. Not surprisingly, Eric Tulsky is on the list. Rossi says he’s the Canes de facto GM now, with Waddell concentrating on the business side. If the Canes don’t want to lose Tulsky, they need to make that move official, soon.

Also on the list are 2 women, Alex Mandrycky from Seattle and Hayley Wickenheiser from the Leafs. But is Wickenheiser really a full time assistant GM in Toronto? She’s a Family and Community Resident at University of Toronto and starts an “enhanced skill year “ in emergency medicine in July. Is she ready to give up medicine?

In a continuation of the end of the regular season, the Panthers have put Bob on the shelf and will start Alex Lyon in Boston tonight. Just think, Panthers fans, only 3 years left on Bob’s contract, at $10 million AAV and a total of $22.5 million actual. He hasn’t played since March 27, thr last game of a 3 game losing streak to the Leafs, Rangers and Sens. He gave up 13 goals on 94 shots in those 3 games.

The Flames fired GM Brad Treliving and promoted Don Maloney to President of Hockey Operations. He’s also the interim GM.

The Flames fired GM Brad Treliving and promoted Don Maloney to President of Hockey Operations. He’s also the interim GM.
The more juicy news around that story is that Sutter will be back as head coach for the Flames which made Treliving's decision to say I'm done easier. You have to wonder if Calgary ownership overruled Treliving on his coaching thoughts moving forward, especially since Sutter is due $8 million dollars over the next two years of his contract.

Last edited:
Back