• Moderators, please send me a PM if you are unable to access mod permissions. Thanks, Habsy.

2022-2023 NHL Misc. Thread

It was McCauley that made the call on Bunting from the neutral zone. Freddie L’Ecuyer was below the goal line, closest to the play.

The TO fans are going berserk on Twitter, over a perceived conflict of interest regarding McCauley. It’s way too convoluted to follow.
Wait, what part is convoluted? Keefe testified in McCauley’s family member’s sexual abuse trial. The optics are pretty shitty, why not just assign him to any other series?

Wait, what part is convoluted? Keefe testified in McCauley’s family member’s sexual abuse trial. The optics are pretty shitty, why not just assign him to any other series?
Over the last 2 seasons, McCauley has worked 13 regular season Leafs games. In the 2022-23 regular season, the Leafs were 5-0-1 with him working the game. Still think he has a bias? I only watched a few minutes of that game last night, so I don’t know what was or wasn’t missed. He got the call on Bunting right.

Carter Sandlak was under contract to the Canes. Should he be prevented from calling Canes games? He’s called at least 1 that I can remember. Corey Syvret played in Guelph with Ben Chiarot and Drew Doughty. Should he be prevented from calling games with former teammates? What about other refs who came out of the CHL, calling games with their former teammates?

As long as there are two or more schools of thought on penalties the refs have zero chance of getting it right. I’ve kind of stopped blaming them.

On one hand, a penalty is a penalty and it should be called.

On the other hand there’s the whole flow of the game thing Tripp likes to whine about.

Then there’s the laissez-faire it’s the playoffs approach where they shouldn’t call things.

And a new one last night among the talking heads that the refs should recognize that guys like Cernak(?) are agitators so if someone does something untoward to them they should call them both or something like that.

Then there’s the points of emphasis

And finally the concussion thing.

In that environment I don’t know what the refs can do. They’re juggling all of those conflicting expectations. The league needs to fix it before the refs can.

Over the last 2 seasons, McCauley has worked 13 regular season Leafs games. In the 2022-23 regular season, the Leafs were 5-0-1 with him working the game. Still think he has a bias? I only watched a few minutes of that game last night, so I don’t know what was or wasn’t missed. He got the call on Bunting right.

Carter Sandlak was under contract to the Canes. Should he be prevented from calling Canes games? He’s called at least 1 that I can remember. Corey Syvret played in Guelph with Ben Chiarot and Drew Doughty. Should he be prevented from calling games with former teammates? What about other refs who came out of the CHL, calling games with their former teammates?
These two paragraphs have absolutely nothing to do in my mind with whether a league that wishes to maintain and demonstrate integrity should assign an official to a series where the coach was a victim of a family member’s crime and testified against him in court.

No issue with the Bunting call at all. It’s completely besides the point for me. There is a clear potential conflict of interest there the league should wish to avoid.

These two paragraphs have absolutely nothing to do in my mind with whether a league that wishes to maintain and demonstrate integrity should assign an official to a series where the coach was a victim of a family member’s crime and testified against him in court.

No issue with the Bunting call at all. It’s completely besides the point for me. There is a clear potential conflict of interest there the league should wish to avoid.
They has to do with it because there are potential conflicts of interest everywhere with various refs and teams.

And towards the previous post about leaves fans melting down and not directed at hockeylover. Are the leafs fans seriously blaming the refs for a 7-3 loss and not just typical leafs playoff outing?

Last edited:
They has to do with it because there are potential conflicts of interest everywhere with various refs and teams. Are the leafs fans seriously blaming the refs for a 7-3 loss and not just typical leafs playoff outing?
This is nowhere in my post.

And no, there are not other refs whose family members are David Frost and head coaches who testified against them.

This is nowhere in my post.

And no, there are not other refs whose family members are David Frost and head coaches who testified against them.
I wasn’t saying you said that. Sorry.

Do you think McCaully is sabotaging the leafs then? If you start down the ref conflict of interest path where do you draw the line.

I wasn’t saying you said that. Sorry.

Do you think McCaully is sabotaging the leafs then? If you start down the ref conflict of interest path where do you draw the line.
I tend to think he’s just incompetent like most of the NHL officiating we’ve seen over the years.

I think it’s common sense that the league should try to avoid this assignment anyway.

Toronto looked like a hot mess last night. Whining about officiating, no matter how bad, just gets in the Leafs’ heads and does nothing to address their other issues.

3 games? Not nearly enough, but it's better than just one game. He went way too high for a shoulder to shoulder hit

Haha. ESPidiots. Complaining about the end of the Panthers game getting out of control. All game it’s let ‘‘em play. Jerks.

I’m not saying Bunting did not deserve the three games but the bigger fraud is watching this league butcher other head hits with minor penalties and maybe a slap on the wrist game misconduct where the guy is back playing the very next game after delivering the same type of hit. There is zero consistency from that dunce’s office when it comes to clearly defining what those head shots should be. Three games in the playoffs is equivalent to about a six game regular season suspension if you listen to most hockey media, the NHL needs to start doling out longer suspensions for all head hunting hits…period.

Haha. ESPidiots. Complaining about the end of the Panthers game getting out of control. All game it’s let ‘‘em play. Jerks.
Like Marchand being abused by Gudas for 20 seconds. How many penalties in this sequence?

Every year it is the same thing; blatant penalties in the playoffs going uncalled. Talented players getting beat on by less skilled players. Like dwind said on another thread, if you're going to have different sets of rules for regular season and post season, let's see 'em, so we know what's a penalty and what's not. I believe that what is called as a penalty on Day 1 of the NHL season should also be a penalty in Game 7 of the Cup Final. Hockey is a fantastic game played by some of the most talented athletes on the planet, but what good is an organized game if the established rules aren't adhered to? If I wanted to see MMA, I'd go watch MMA. I want to see hockey played at its highest level by the best players in the world, not a bunch of thugs pummeling & cheap shotting gifted players, while selectively blind zebras sanction it. This behavior is stealing from the game and we're all being forced to suffer through it. What's next, calling up an expendable minor league player to run the goaltender? Is that what it's coming to?

Jim

Back